Chapter 1

I finished packing the crate and walked down stairs to put it in my car. I looked into the kitchen to see my mom standing at the sink with a mug enclosed in her hands, staring into oblivion. I smiled to myself and walked outside where my dad and little brother Dylan were taking turns shooting hoops. I rushed to put the box into the back and shut the door running to the court. My brother just released the ball into the air and I jumped up and blocked it. 

"Awwwwww!" he shouted as he smiled at me. "Can't believe my sister is better than me at basketball!"

"Please! I'm not the one who's got a scout coming to every game this year from 12 different colleges!" I replied picking up the ball and shooting it.

"You might have if you wouldn't have joined cheer-leading," he said taking the ball from my hands and dribbling around me.

"Hey, I had my fair share of scouts in Cheer." 

"Yeah, but are you going to any of their colleges?" he teased.

"I didn't want to go to any of their colleges, and you know that, Dyl," I retorted. He narrowed his eyes and nodded knowing that it was true.

"You all packed up?" my dad broke into the conversation.

I nodded and looked at him. My dad wasn't one to cry but I could tell that me leaving for college was hurting him.

"My baby girl, leaving me for the big world," he sighed. 

"It's just college, dad. I'll be back during the holidays!" I reasoned. 

"Ok, just don't bring any boys with you," he joked. 

We all went inside to find my mother still standing at the sink staring at something that only she could see. My dad went up to her and placed a hand on her back. She head shook as she came out of her reverie and looked around. She saw me and my little brother standing there and she smiled at us. She came over and pat my cheek and pulled me into a hug. 

"I guess I should get going," I said looking around at my family. They smiled at me and nodded weakly. I began the seemingly long trek to my car. I pulled myself into the drivers seat and closed the door while starting my car. I rolled down the window as my dad laid his arms on the sill. 

"Drive careful. Don't talk to strangers. Make friends. Do good in school," my dad listed.

"Dad, if I don't talk to strangers, how am I supposed to make friends?" I questioned. "And I do 'well' in school."

He nodded and smiled at me. "That's why you're an English major." He kissed my forehead and moved for my mom to talk to me.

"Call me as often as you can! Tell me about your dorm, your classes, your professors, your roommate, the cute boy next door, any friends you make, tell me everything!" she exclaimed looking at me. "Everything!" She put a hand to my cheek and smiled at me with tears in her eyes. I nodded trying not to cry.

She then moved and my brother came to the window. He held out his hand for me like he does his friends and we did this weird handshake that I finally figured out. "Keep the boys a safe distance away. If you need I'll come beat a few up." He gave me his cheeky smile and winked. I laughed and he stepped away and stood next to my dad who held my mother in his arms, crying. 

"Do well, kid!" My dad shouted to me. I smiled and put my car into gear. I stuck my hand out and waved as I drove away. I turned out of the driveway and made my way out of the neighborhood. I almost started to let the tears that were welling up fall down my face but then I got a hold of myself and stopped. I was going to college, it's not like I was entering another world and leaving this one behind forever.