Chapter Three: Conflicted Desires

The remainder of the day passes by. As the families begin to head home, Henry walked out from the backrooms, carrying a doll in his arms, looking around at the playing children with a calm, content expression.

He headed over to you and you're immediately hit by the acrid, foul odour emitting from the stained rag doll that he's so lovingly cradling.

"We'll be closing up, soon. How was your first day of work?" He asked pleasantly. "I hope you had time to get your breaks in."

You politely tried not to wince or gag at the smell. "If I'm being honest, it could have went smoother...is William always so harsh on the first day?"

"Ah, William's been a good friend of mine for years. I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it. He's recently taken over more of the company. I'm sure it's just the pressure of the new responsibilities and once he adjusts, you'll see what a charmer he is."

"Mmn. I'm sure." You said full of doubt, but maybe he was right and you just needed to give William more of a chance.

You found yourself absentmindedly looking at the doll, assuming it's a coping mechanism.

"Hey, it looks like your little girl made a bit of a mess with some... chocolate cake?" You prayed the dark brownish red stains are not old blood, but chocolate syrup. "Looks like she'll needs a good old fashioned bubble bath tonight." You tried to sound chipper, trying not to be rude or mean.

"Hm?" He looked down and chuckles. "Charlie, darling, have you been sneaking snacks? I said no sweets. It's close to bedtime." He booped its nose. He paused thoughtfully, looking at the doll a bit sadly. "You know, my wife's out of town. I was waiting for her to come back to give Charlie a bath, but she hasn't given me an estimated arrival time, yet. I feel a bit sheepish asking, but she always gave Charlie her baths and I've never done it myself before and she's still too young to bathe alone...would you mind, perhaps helping me out?"

He looked to you so helpless and desperate and a tender look crosses your face.

"You'd really trust me with her? I mean, I don't mind at all." You agreed heartily.

"Awe, shucks. You're so sweet. I'm glad I gave you the job." He smiled, opening the car door for you and then opening another for the doll and loading it inside, carefully buckling the seatbelt.

He climbed in the driver's seat, humming some silly song while he drives. It might have been an old Fazbear song that's no longer performed. He does not live very far and when he parks, you can barely make out a house hidden in the overgrown trees.

"Home away from Home." He winked with a dad joke about Freddy's. He opens Charlie's door and unbuckles the seat belt, carrying it toward the front door.

You immediately noticed that the house looks condemned from the outside. It hasn't been repainted or maintained in awhile. It looks abandoned. He whistles and unlocks the door.

"Welcome in. Make yourself at home." He beamed, just a bit shyly. "And, thanks again, y/n."

You can tell this is going to be a disaster. This poor man needed some serious help. You give him a sad smile.

"Of course, Henry. You've been nothing but kind to me. I want to be nice to you in return. It looks like the yard needs a trim, too, and I can help you wash the windows." You were determined to help him.

"That's not necessary." He gave a soft, good-natured chuckle. "You already work full time. Why don't you go play with your friends instead? Go to the roller rink or the rock concerts?" He offered mildly, holding the door for you.

"No, it's fine! I'm not much into those, and my friends live pretty far away." You paused, trying once again not to gag at the smell.

Inside was worse than you feared. A layer of grime over hard surfaces, a putrid smell, stacks of moldy dishes with rotting food, piles on unwashed clothing. The worst thing was the high-pitched, white-noise ringing in your ears that caused an immediate headache. You winced momentarily and when you opened your eyes the filthy doll looked like a real live little girl. It was disturbingly realistic even down to rhythmic breathing.

"Looks like we have a little cleaning up inside to do too." You turn to Henry and almost scream. "Ch.... Charlie?!" You sputtered, looking at Henry in slight terror.

"What is it?" He asked tranquilly, looking down at the unnerving thing in his arms unfazed. "Did she do something funny?" He chuckled lightly.

You're speechless as you attempt to form an excuse, but find nothing suitable. "She made a silly face." You say politely, hoping you don't look pale.

"All right, you two, you get cleaned up and-" He's cut off by the loud beep of his work pager. He pauses and unclips it, checking it. "Oh, it's William. He wants to talk shop. I'll let him know I'm with you and I'll call him later." He types into it.

Not a beat after he presses send, your own work pager beeps several times aggressively loud. It seems Henry had his turned down a few notches.

"Agh! Sorry!" You turned the volume down, and they go to check the pager. "What exactly could he want at this hour? We double checked everything before we left!" You frown.

"Where are you?" The message read.

You glared and the messages and turned the pager off. You cellphone rang instantly.

"How did you get my number?" You demanded.

"You work here. It's in your file." He said and even without seeing him you registered the patronizing smile.

"Why do you need to know where I am?" You snapped back angrily.

"You should be more worried about why I had to call you. You need to return to the facility immediately."

"Why?" You growled back annoyed.

"You left the lights on. We have a strict electricity policy. Our power supply is limited." He explained and you could hear his smile.

"You're already there. You turn them off." You rolled your eyes.

"If I correct your mistakes, then you have to admit you're childish and if I leave, I have to responsibly lock the door, and you don't have a key to get inside." He explained calmly and you sigh in agitation.

"I'm so sorry Henry. I have to go back and take care of some things." You turn apologetically to him.

"Ha ha. That's classic William for ya." Henry gave an honest chuckle. "I understand. Don't worry."

You realized that it'd take the whole hour to walk back and moan. "I'm so sorry... can you give me a ride there? He only gave me an hour... You and Charlie can just wait in the car until he's through being petty..." You huff and then give poor Henry a smile.

"Of course." Henry said softly, his smile fading into concern. "It's so late. I wouldn't want you walking alone in the dark. I wouldn't want anything bad happening to you." He said sincerely. "I'll get you there in a jiffy, don't you worry."

He headed back to the door and the inviting breeze reminded you how much you took fresh air for granted after being in that stale, stuffy mess. In no time at all, you were once again in front of Freddy's; Far too soon for your liking.

The building's colours were desaturated in the gloom of night and a leaning light pole cast a harsh, ugly orange light on the front doors. Standing like a guardian before them was the imposing form of William Afton.