Chapter Fourteen

Word Count: 1546

~Noah

Why did I do that?

I stare at her, completely unconscious and unknowing of what I did. Here she is, my mate, a victim of my own mistakes. How could I let this happen? It's not often anyone falls charm to any of my abilities. I've sworn to keep them to myself, and not let anyone fal witness to what I am possible of. Yet here I am, standing in my mate's room, telling myself to walk away and let it be.

She'll wake up with no recollection. That's what magic does. Well, it's not exactly magic, but it does the trick. And as simple as it might seem to walk away, I can't bring myself to accept what I've done. Who has such a moment of weakness and manipulates their mates mind in this way?

The soft sounds of her breathing quell my thoughts. Of course, I'm going to feel guilty about this, but I would feel guiltier if she knew.

It would go against Cian and I's agreement...

This is me protecting her. I'm doing the best I can for a foolish mistake. Maybe one day she will know, but for now, a secret it shall remain.

•••

~Abella

It goes against everything I promised myself.

My entire rational mind is telling me I shouldn't have called him. This is the first real time, aside from when he tried to force money on me, that I've called on him myself. It feels so wrong, but after the conversation I've had, it's inspired me to demand Cian's complete and utter honesty with me, or else, I'm going to demand he leave my life forever. Whether he wants to or not.

I sit in my room, right on the edge of my bed, nervous. I had no other choice but to invite him up here in order to keep our privacy. Who knows what rumours they will spread about me and Cian if they get an inkling he's only coming here to see me. I've got enough on my plate as it is.

He arrives hastily. Perhaps he was nearby, which would explain why he arrived within half an hour. If there is one thing I can count on him for, it's to be here when I need him.

For whatever reason he might want to be.

"Well this is quite the surprise," Cian announces as he walks into the room, closing the door behind him. I glare at him, letting him know that this isn't what I wanted, but right now, is the only option. Really, I'm just hoping a certain outcome comes from this that will give me an excuse to rid him from my life forever.

"Sit down on that chair over there," I demand, motioning to my desk chair. Cian raises a dark eyebrow at me, but obliges. He's dressed as though he has just come from a lavish party, wearing dark pants and a satin dress shirt that's as gold as the roots of his hair.

He folds one leg over the other. "Is this an interrogation? I didn't know I did anything wrong by you, Abella."

"You need to be completely transparent with me if you ever think I'll trust you," I tell him firmly, setting the tone for the rest of the conversation.

Cian considers that for a moment.

"Fine. What exactly is it you want me to be so honest about, my dear?" he asks him. I blink a few times, expecting more of a dance around the issue. Instead, he is deciding he was to be completely honest with me. Or maybe, he's going to lie and manipulate me like he has done the entire time I've known him. But this time I have to take the risk.

I have a thought that has been plaguing me since he last mentioned it that I'm ready to interrogate him with. "I want to know about that night, when I blacked out. Did I really kiss you?"