PROLOGUE

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, businesses, and events are purely pigments of the slothful scribbler's imagination, unless otherwise stated. Any resemblance to actual persons--- living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

No part of this story may be reproduced, transmitted, or distributed in any form or by any means, without the prior permission of the author.

Copyright © 𝑩𝒆𝒓𝒏𝒂𝒅𝒆𝒕𝒉, 2014

*⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*

・━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━・
P R O L O G U E
・━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━・

It was a peaceful night. I can still figure out the exact scenario that time. The pale tint of orange sky was slowly fading and turning into a darker one. The single mahogany tree beside my bedroom's window was so tranquil. The butterflies were perky playing around the branches of mahogany. I was really muzzy that time and asked my mom why there were butterflies around the mahogany tree when they are supposed to be playing on flowers.

Mama just shrugged her shoulders and sweetly caressed my hair.

"Hmm. Maybe they are getting tired playing in their kingdom, and they went out to find a new nice place to have fun, which is the mahogany tree. Dear, sometimes it is great to try different things. It is good to step out of your comfort zone, encourage yourself to unfamiliar settings, and do things that you can't imagine yourself doing. You should know when to take a risk. Live life with no regrets and without fear, and that's what the butterflies were doing." She said before she kissed my temple. I smiled at what she had said, and became enough of her words. I was really fond of anything mama has to say.

"I am really envious, mama." I said as she stared at me.

"Envious of what?" I played the tip of the braided hair of my doll and playfully twirled a lock of its golden blond hair around my finger.

"Of butterflies." My mama gave me a warm smile.

"Why, dear?"

I poured. "Because they can fly and I can't. They have colorful wings but I don't have any. Why is life very unfair, mama?" I felt that she kissed again my hair.

"In this perilous land, nothing is fair, dear."

"Why is that so, mama? But I wanted to fly, mama. I want to fly high!" and I spread my arms on air. Mama tickled my stomach and I giggled.

"But there's a better thing aside from flying high." she said as she kissed my cheek.

"What is that, mama?"

"Success in life. That's the only wonderful and best thing that you could ever have. The only thing better than anything else. The only thing that could let you feel the true meaning of contentment. Achieve what you desire, honey. I'm telling you, it's better than physically flying high." Every night, she's always nurturing me with her words. I can feel assurance whenever I am with her. The assurance, that she will protect me from every harmful existence.

Not until one night. . .

"Mama, what's the problem?" I asked as she made her way through the bedroom's door.

She looked at me for a second. "Stay here, dear. No matter what happens, don't ever come outside. Just stay here." She gave me an assuring smile before she went out and closed the door in silence. I waited for mama to come back, until I got tired and went for a long sleep. But I think it's better if I didn't open my eyes and waited for tomorrow to come, because I abhor the day I woke up again just to find out that everything was gone. 

. . .in just a blink of an eye, everything turned into a mess. . .