Chapter 18

Joe's P.O.V.
August 25th. My 24th birthday.

Funny! I realize now that I'll turn 25 on August 25th next year.

Mom says we're too old to build a fort, but I hope I'll still have a fun birthday. And if not, I'll make sure it'll get fun before today ends.

I walk into the kitchen to be greeted by everyone. Kevin and Danielle had come over early to congratulate me and spend the day here as well.

They all sang happy birthday and I got gifts from everyone. I am so happy to be here with everyone.

I can't wait for the cake. We had it made so that it's light and Pippa can eat it as well. I wonder if it tastes good...

Pippa's been doing so good. I am really proud of her. She's gained a few pounds, not much, but I know she's going to get there.

Mom got the coffee and tea ready to cut the cake with family here only. Just the way I like it.

They once again sang happy birthday and I blew out the candles on the cake. I looked at everyone. Kevin looked happy with his arm around Danielle who was also glowing with happiness.

Nick was busy checking his Omnipod for the cake, already bolusing for it. Dad was holding up a camera to take pictures of the first birthday back on track. Mom was taking the candles off the cake. Frankie had been doing the same as me and our eyes met. He looked worried, and I became worried too when I saw Pippa.

She was staring sadly at the cake. As if it is going to hurt her. She isn't going to make it through today.

When dividing the cake, I made sure Pippa got the smallest piece. She looked at me thankfully. Kevin had noticed what I did and gave me a sad smile before laughing at something Frankie told him.

I was so proud when Pippa ate the whole piece of cake. It took her the longest to finish, but she did.

I was content with my coffee until something changed. Pippa had changed.

She leapt up from her seat and ran towards the stairs. Nick was up from his chair in an instant to follow her.

The rest of us waited downstairs at the table for their return. We could hear the commotion upstairs, but figured Nick would be the best help in this situation.

As the birthday boy, I decided to go upstairs and take a look.

I looked into a few of the rooms. I finally found them in the bathroom. Both on the floor against the bathtub and Nick with his arm around her. She looks tired and pale. "What happened?" I ask them.

"Pippa threw up the cake." Nick answers sadly pulling her closer while she tightly shuts her eyes. "Why?" I ask him. "Too much."

"Want to go try again?" Nick asks her quietly. She starts shaking her head vigorously.

"Please don't make me. I don't want to eat. I can't eat anymore. I'll just throw it back up again. Don't make me throw up. It hurts. Tears form in her eyes as she begs both of us to not force her food.

"Fine. Only because it is Joe's birthday we'll let you off the hook for now, but this will be talked about. Whether it's with me, or mom or someone else." She nods gratefully.

"Let's go back downstairs. Everyone is worried about you. You made quite a scene." I try to cheer her up. It works, but it does not have the effect I had hoped for.

I help both family members up on their feet. I walk out of the bathroom first, knowing Nick wants to give her one last boost of confidence.

Everyone looks up when I enter the kitchen first. "Please act as if nothing has happened and don't comment on not eating. We will figure it out later. We made a deal." I tell them. A few agreements were heard.

Nick and Pippa entered the kitchen again and sat back down on their respective chairs.

Pippa sat quietly on her chair. She sees me staring at her and gives me a light smile. I return the favor.

Her phone beeps, informing her of an incoming message. She picks up her phone from the table and reads the message. She places her phone back on the table without responding.

She looked happier after she read the message. I couldn't help but notice Nick put his phone away. He had been typing. Did he just text her? They confirmed my thoughts when they shared a look and both smiled a real smile.

Later that night I sat in my room on my laptop. I was watching Netflix and paused it when Pippa entered my room and closed the door behind her.

"I just ate under mom's watch." She tells me as she walks over to sit on my bed with me. I close the laptop and put it away knowing we're going to have a brother/sister moment I need to focus on.

"I'm proud of you no matter what. I'm honored to be your older brother." She laughs. "Shouldn't it be the other way? You are the famous one."

"No, it shouldn't. I love you." I have to make sure she knows.

"I love you too." I take her in my arms and lean against the headboard of my bed. She puts her head on my chest and pulls her knees up.

"I'm sorry for ruining your birthday. I know it means a lot to you." She apologizes.

"I care more about your health. I'll get more birthdays. You're the only sister I have. You are the best sister someone can have. You're awesome." I tell her, bumping my fist against her shoulder. She laughs.

She looks like she wants to say something. I nudge her gently to get her to tell. She looks up at me. "It is stupid. Let it go." I shake my head. She sighs. "I'd like to go back in time and be able to build a fort." She says.

"Why can't we do that now?" I ask her. "It is my birthday after all." A smile grows on her face as I grin. She giggles and we both get into action to build the fort.

As I said to myself this morning "If it's not fun, I'll make sure it'll get fun before today ends." I have accomplished that promise.

Let me know if there is anything you like to see happen! More brotherly moments, more brother/sister moments, more drama? Let me know in the comments or send a message.