Alien Love Story - A Short Story by @elveloy

Kel stood in front of the view port, staring at an alien world. Unlike Earth, the planet was a ball of oranges, reds and yellows with bands of green running across the surface. No oceans that he could identify.

It had been two years since he had seen Ziva Juul. Two long years that he had spent trying to get onto the next spaceflight to Arae and here he was, finally. He knew Ziva had expected their last night together to be their farewell—that she would never see him again—but he hadn't been able to let go. If she couldn't stay with him, then he would go to her.

He'd told her his plans two months ago, when his passage had been confirmed, but her response had confused him. Not cold exactly, but definitely cool, wary.

He tried to be realistic. Two years was a long time and they had only known each other for those few short weeks. Perhaps things had changed once she was back on her own world, amongst her own people.

But she hadn't told him not to come.

~~~

Kel looked eagerly around the passenger hall of the Spaceport, searching the crowd for Ziva but she wasn't there. She hadn't come to meet him. Fighting back disappointment he made his way through the throng to the row of hovercars waiting out the front to carry their human passengers to the Alien Sector.

Kel had done as much research on Arae as possible before this trip. He knew humans were restricted to a portion of the city—any excursion outside, to the Araean part of the city, required a visa and an escort. He stepped out of the Spaceport and took a deep breath of the rich air. The oxygen component was slightly higher than that of Earth, but quite safe for humans. He looked around, eager to see this new city, despite his disappointment that Ziva was not there to welcome him.

Tall towers in shades of blue and green lined the streets. Hovercars zipped through the air, but there was no sign of any footpaths, or pedestrians for that matter.

Kel took a hovercar to his hotel and found an invitation waiting for him. He'd been invited to a Welcome Reception for all new arrivals—perhaps Ziva would be there.

He scanned the hall, searching for that familiar face. There she was—on the other side of the room, dressed in an embroidered midnight-blue robe. Her hair was different, it was now a shining cap cut close to her head, but he would recognise that face anywhere. He made his way across the room as fast as he could.

"Ziva!" he said eagerly. As soon as the person turned, Kel realised that he had made a mistake. It wasn't Ziva—it was a young man. He was staring at Kel.

"I'm so sorry," Kel apologised hastily. "I thought you were someone I knew." They looked so alike—surely this man must be her brother, her twin even.

"Can I ask... do you know Ziva Juul?"

The young man studied Kel for a long moment with storm-grey eyes beneath arched brows, before replying. "Yes... I know Ziva."

Kel found the resemblance really disconcerting. His heart was beating faster, even though he knew this wasn't his lover. He thought maybe this man's jaw was firmer, his lips thinner... He made an effort to gather his scattered thoughts.

"Is she here tonight?"

"No. She is busy elsewhere. You must be Kel?"

"She told you about me?"

The young man looked serious. "I must apologise on her behalf. She was too young to be sent on such a mission. Normally only full Citizens—those over thirty-five of your Earth years—are allowed to represent Arae, but an exception was made in her case. A mistake as it turned out."