xxxii. the danish straits

Start from the beginning

Sam's heart stopped.

"I know how you feel about heights," Steve said quickly. "But it's completely safe. I've done it a million times. Or... one time. But I landed just fine. In a tree. But I managed to climb down."

"Steve," Bucky shook his head. The super-soldier closed his mouth, turning red.

Sam stood completely silent for a moment, trying to imagine what it would be like to jump out of a plane. Willingly. She could feel the others watching but ignored them, focusing on calming her pounding heart instead. 

It couldn't be so bad, right? Just a jump. Though, on the other hand, it would be a terrible way to die. Terribly embarrassing. 

"Clarence?" Howard spoke up. "You good?"

"F-fantastic."

"So you'll do it?" Steve watched her nervously. She wondered if she looked as sick as she felt, stomach roiling with nerves. She ran a hand through her hair and found herself nodding.

"Yeah. Sure."

"These one word answers are a little worrying, Clarence," Howard said. "We can radio SSR Headquarters, if needed. Cap can handle a few guards--"

"No," she cut him off. Lifting her eyes, she forced a shaky smile. "I can do it. We'll clear a path."

Howard, Steve, and Bucky all exchanged glances. Crossing her arms, Sam drew herself up, lifting her chin. "Oh, don't you dare go back on me now. I'll jump from that damn plane if Stark has to push me from it."

"It's not gonna come to that," Bucky quickly interjected. He shot Howard a threatening look and the inventor raised his hands innocently.

"Of course not!"

"Buck," Sam nodded her head, turning away. Raising a brow, he followed her to the corner of the tent. Steve and Howard quickly busied themselves in the papers that scattered the table in the middle of the tent, but Sam could still feel their eyes. 

Turning her back to them, she looked into Bucky's face. Her promise weighed heavy on her shoulders.

"You're okay with this, Barnes?" She licked her lips, swallowing nervously. "I know what we said, but there's always gonna be battles like this..."

"Smalls," he interrupted gently. "I trust you. You're damn near impossible to kill and I'm not going to stand in the way of a mission." He brushed his thumb over her cheek, cupping her chin. "I'll worry like hell, but I trust you. Just come back to me, yeah?"

"Of course," she said. Gratitude welled up inside her. "Always."

His eyes danced.

They turned around and both Howard and Steve quickly dropped their eyes back to the table. Sam shook her head, raising a brow. "So when do we leave?"

The two exchanged glances. Then looked back at her.

"Morning?" Steve asked. Taking a deep breath, she nodded. I am the Phantom. I fear nothing.

"Morning."

~ ~ ~

Once she'd changed into her uniform-- guns, knives, and a pair of Morita's grenades clipped around her waist and legs-- Sam ducked out of her tent. 

Over the coast, the sun was beginning to set, a golden pool on the horizon. She'd braided her hair so it swung down her back, to keep it out of her face during the battle. Her boots, splattered with mud, crunched the sand as she walked.