Chapter 1

John

He started awake looking around him in confusion. Half asleep he was still on the ark seeing his father being floated out into space. Instead of seeing blue blankets he saw his blue face having the oxygen sucked out of his lungs and the last he saw was him disappearing into space. He used to wonder how many bodies were just floating outside the Ark. Now he wondered whether that vision would ever leave him.

The sliver of moonlight coming in from the door of his tent woke him fully and he sat up with a small grimace. His bed was warm compared to the chilling air outside. The telltale signs of winter approaching had everyone in Arkadia worried.

Putting those thoughts out of his head he sat up and slipped on his shirt. He never went to bed without pants in case of a attack. There hadn't been one for a while now and it ended up just being more useful so he didn't have to stumble in the dark almost every night trying to find them. 

Grabbing his knife that had once almost signed his death warrant, he pulled himself out of the nest of blankets and furs he called his bed and stumbled over to the mouth of his tent. He'd have to start bringing a jacket soon as the trees started to lose their leaves. Walking around his tent he began walking into the forest. It wasn't uncommon nowadays for at least 1 person to be wandering around camp unable to sleep and plagued with nightmares. However no one went into the forest.

Tonight seemed to be the exception as no one was out except him. It didn't bother him much though. He became used to being alone after his banishment. At least before he was captured by grounders. The nightmares from then had left him but he still felt uneasy around Lincoln and Indra when she came around. Abby had slapped the pretty little label "PTSD" on him. He didn't like her much these days as she wouldn't ever leave anyone alone, most likely from the disappearance of clarke. Then again he never really had liked her.

The moon was hardly visible between the trees causing him to almost fall a few times. It was a welcome distraction from his thoughts though. As a kid he used to love school not because he loved learning but because he loved daydreaming. Quite a few times his teachers had caught him. Nowadays though he never wanted a spare moment and usually kept busy with Raven in her workshop. Sometimes he wonders if he should've said yes to Jaha just to get away from the memories but he probably would've died on some mythical goose chase across the desert. Unlike Jasper and Jaha he actually valued his life for some reason. 

The trees finally broke into a small clearing and he sighed a bit to himself leaning against one of the trees. No one at the camp seemed to accept him. Everyone was still caught up over Charlette. He'd made a mistake, yes but he didn't see why he was still paying for it when Finn was welcomed back with open arms after slaughtering an entire village  - including children - for no reason.

He realized that he'd forgotten to put on shoes before leaving and shook his head a bit. Before he used to be so thorough that he basically had perfect memory. Now though he could barely remember half the camps names despite there only being about 400 or so. Something was definitely wrong with him.

Caught up in his thoughts he didn't notice the near-silent sounds of someone approaching him from behind until the last minute. It wasn't really a sound but just a sense of danger as he spun around grabbing his knife. His heart jumped and survival instincts kicked in. 

Before his mind recognized who it was he smacked the outstretched hand with the knife.  Adrenaline hummed through his veins as his attacker let out a small gasp. Grabbing them by the shoulder he spun them around so they were pressed against his chest with the terrible makeshift blade against their throat. Hair tickled his chin and he noticed it was blond. Before he said anything his mind caught up to him recognizing the patterns on the leather jacket she had donned so long ago as part of the 100 and the hairstyle only a princess wore. Fuck after almost a month. "Damn Princess you know you aren't supposed to sneak up on people right?" He said removing the knife from her throat.