Chapter Nine

Wednesday 2 September 1998

Draco

"And I, yours, mate," my mate says, and whilst I can't hear their voice, I can hear their words, and they are everything.

I am pulled into consciousness by Blaise, who I growl at for doing so. He chuckles at me.

"Good dream?" Yes, I think, it was a great dream, and then scorn myself for doing so. I had sworn last night that I would not allow myself to go to my mate, would not allow myself to get any closer to them. If I fell for them, it would only make avoiding them so much harder.

Draco, please don't do this...

If I don't, they'll reject me. The thought quietens you.

"Sorry to wake you up, Dray, but we need to go to breakfast." I nod, too out of sorts to answer verbally, and begin to get up and ready.

When we get to the hall, the professors are already starting to give out timetables. As with last night, I wait for Blaise's permission before sitting and eating. The unwelcome thought pops into my head that I can't wait to find my mate so they can do this for me, then I remember that they would probably reject me before they had the chance.

Draco, please stop thinking like that.

I know that this hurts you; I can feel you getting increasingly timid the more I think of rejection. And I'm sorry, but I can't stop.

We need our mate, please, Draco, don't make me live without them.

I would rather live without them than be rejected. I feel you wince.

They can't reject us, they're our mate, we were made specifically for them! How could they hate us if we are their perfect match?

Because of who I am. And I know that's not your fault, but it doesn't change anything. And I don't want to talk about this anymore. As much as it hurts you, it does me. I yearn for my mate, more and more each day. The thought of going without them forever hurts me more than words can say. But I just can't bare the possibility of being rejected. It's better this way.

At the end of breakfast, McGonagall stands up, tapping a fork on a glass of orange juice to get our attention.

"Could all seventh and eighth years please stay behind after breakfast. Thank you."

What happened? Have we done something wrong? Are we in trouble?

It's probably nothing. I doubt two whole years could be being punished before classes even start.

Once the rest of the school has left the hall, McGonagall stands up.

"As you all know, this is a pivotal time in your lives. Not only are we all in recovery from the events of last year, but you will be taking your N.E.W.T.s, as well as turning eighteen. In fact some of you already have, hence this talk. As many of you know, with your birthdays, there is the possibility of receiving an inheritance. Normally, we teach seventh years about creature inheritances in a new class dedicated to teaching you both about what to expect should you receive one and how to act around your classmates who may if you don't. However, due to the addition of the eighth years this year, a change in this system is required.

"As many eighth years have already gone through their inheritances, it has become pertinent to teach both years all you need to know quickly. Hence, today, instead of classes, you will be receiving a day-long seminar about the topic. To give this seminar, are specialists Dr Turner and Dr Li."

I feel you relax as her speech goes on. Of course, this is a mild waste of time for me, as I have already been taught everything I know about creature inheritances, although I appreciate the effort for everyone else. It is important that regular wizards understand any changes in habits, and what may be offensive or dangerous.