Firework Festival?

Start from the beginning

     "Aw, don't be so shy." I pinched his cheeks as his body's temperature spread, filling the coldness of my hand. "Here, I bought this." I said while handing him the plastic bag from convenient store. He looked inside; his eyes glowing with a slight mirth.

     Thank goodness.

     That reminds me of the poster I saw before. In this condition, Haru can't go anywhere. I don't want to talk about it but it keeps bothering my mind. But I guess, it's okay to just talk about it. "You know, I want to talk about something." I said while trying to wear my best smile to make it less awkward. "What?"

     "While I bought this for you, I saw a poster, talking about an upcoming firework festival nearby today." I averted my eyes to picked my words carefully with full concentration. I don't want him to get the wrong meaning or else. "Hm," He hummed while eating his food. Almost vigorously. "I really want to go there, actually." I said. "But I probably can't."

     "And why is that?" He finally answered with words as he looked up. "I thought about going with you but I suppose it's pretty impossible, huh?" I chuckled under my breath, trying to hide the new feeling of sadness inside me. I looked up after gazing at the floor and found his ocean-blue eyes looking at me with a vague sadness.

     "What? Something on my face?" I asked while rubbing my face with both hands. "Why me? You still have Miyako or whoever, right?" He said while looking at my (e/c)—somehow coldly. "Y-yeah. I still have Miyako or whoever is it." The cynicism in my tone was very clear—almost visible. I know he can't go but, does he really need to talk coldly like that? Not to mention the icy glare...

     Pretty much disappointed.

     Jeez, it hurts.

     The anger and disappointment inside me welling up; trying to come to the surface. "You know, I probably should get home. My mom might need me. You know," I said with a glimpse of another cynicism in my tone. I stormed out of his room while hearing his voice calling my name. I really don;t want to look back.

     Just let him be.

TIME SKIP

Now is the time.

     I went to Miyako's house to pick her up. On the way to the festivsal, Miyako told me stories about her and her dreamy boyfriend. Kinda reminds me of my own boyfriend. Probably, listening to her stories was a bad choice. It hurts.

*****

The park filled with lot of stands of food while it's very crowded with humans. The scent of foods tickled my nostrils. The sounds from some game stands piqued my interest. Visiting a summer festival like this makes me feel somehow complete during summer.

     "Can I have a roasted corn? Please? Let's go there, (y/n)!" We head over the corn stand while I feel something vibrates inside my pocket. It's probably just my phone. I'd better check it. "Mi-chan, I might need to go for a while. My phone... it's vibrating." She just nodded.

     The caller name makes me raise one of my eyebrows.

     Haru.

     Should I answer this call? Or not? For few seconds, I debate with myself. Probably it's my pride and my heart debating. I think for long enough to make the call turned into a missed-call. Fine. Just great.

     I head back to the corn stand with Miyako stood in front of it. I decided to buy one for me too. As I wait in the lines of humans, I think about many reasons why he had called before.

*****

"So, when will the firework starts?" I asked to Miyako while chewing my roasted corn nonchalantly. "A bit more time I guess. Gosh, I can't wait!" She said while fasten her eating pace. "Jeez, don't eat so fast! You might get chocked from your own food or even worse." I said and flicked her forehead. "So mean!" Then we laughed together.

     My phone vibrated for the second time, quite bothering. It's Haru. Again. Goddammit. "Mi-chan, I'd better answer this call, be right back." I said and tapped her shoulder before I take my leave. 

Haru: "Hello? (y/n)?"

(y/n): "Yeah, what?"

Haru: "...sorry."

(y/n): "It's... it's okay."

Haru: "What a shame you said 'it's okay'."

(y/n): "What do you mean?"

Haru: "I'm here. Here."

(y/n) "Here where?"

Haru: "Right in front of the firework festival entrance."

(y/n): "Liar. You had a fever."

Haru: "Whatever. But really, I'm here. Bye."

(y/n): "Wait! Haru!"

      He hung up out of blue. Again.

     Shoot! What should I do now? And so, I decided to tell Miyako that Haru's in front of the entrance and after that I'll be going to the entrance.

     I bumped into some people on my way.

     I stumbled a bit, too.

     The pair of shoes covering my feet turn dirty.

     Actually, I don't really care. All I care is that guy.

*****

Standing like a fool in the entrance, I looked everywhere; looking for that ocean-blue eyed boy.

     A familiar hand waving towards my way and I know who's hand it is. I ran toward him and hug him as soon as I see his tall, muscular body. I held him tight as if protecting something so important as a treasure. "Glad you're here." I said vaguely while burying my face to his chest.

     Warmth spreading around my back from a familiar hand. "I thought you were mad, (y/n)." He said while stifling his chuckle. "I am." I chuckled awkwardly. "Not was?" He said teasingly. A teasing Haru is rare. I laughed and he just chuckled—keeping his composure.

     "This is a PDA and we should get in." I looked up and see his crimsoned face as he looked down at me with such gentle eyes. I just nod and take his hand with me.

     As we get in, We walk straight to the seafood corner because of his desire to eat some mackerels. I waited nearby as he bought those tasty-looking mackerels. I looked around and see a candy stand. Lollipop sounds fine. "Haru, I'm going to buy one of those lollipops, okay?" I asked while points the candy stand.

     Haru grabbed my wrist out of the blue, startling me. "What?" I asked. "Let me but you the lollipop. You forgave me, I owe you something." He averted his gaze while his face slightly crimsoned. How adorable. He's my dork. "My pleasure." I pulled his hand along to the candy stand and laughed nonchalantly.

     A (taste) lollipop sounds good. I decided to bought it with some other candies. We walked hand in hand like before. Well, there is a slight difference; I have candies in my other hands and a lollipop inside my mouth. "Haru? Thanks. This actually unnecessary. I still got money with me." I said a timidly. I suppose my cheeks are a bit red now. "That was nothing. Really. S-shall we look for a good spot?" I know he changed the topic purposefully to hide that embarrassment of his.

     We found such a good place where we could see stars painted the dark sky. I turned my heard to look at his chiseled, delicate face and got immersed. "(y/n)? The fireworks starting." Haru asked with his shaky voice. He seemed to realize I was looking at him for too long. "R-right!"  

     The fireworks painted the sky, replacing the beauty that before came from the stars. It looks like someone paint the sky with those colorful fireworks. Warmth spreads inside my heart. I take Haru's hand and gripped it firmly. Not wanting to let go.

     This is the summer that I will never forget. It's a summer I have never had before.

     Haru, everything with you somehow always feel new though, it's not.

     Not only summer, I'll spend my whole youth with you.

     With that, we kissed under the painted sky.