24. Hunt

That day, Xia Lian Bei was wearing a one-piece wrap around robes. And because his white hair would probably attract attention, he wore a veil on his head. Even his face was obscured.

He appraised that his gender was put to question because of the way he dressed but he wasn't bothered by it. People could think what they liked.

When it was time to eat dinner, he purposefully went down to the canteen of the inn later than most of the people. So, there were only a few people left.

He asked for the bestselling dishes because he was curious what the patrons liked the most. He told them to send the meal up to his room.

He wasn't in a hurry to go back so his eyes wandered about. As he was near the windows, he saw two stray kittens underneath a tree outside.

They were lovable and feeble looking.

He went outside and strode towards the kittens and picked them up. How would Brother Emperor react when he brought cats inside the imperial palace?

Xia Lian Bei's favorite past time was actually seeing how annoyed his brother was but the latter couldn't even vent it out because he had to play the part of being an ignorant ruler who doted on his cursed younger brother.

So he happily went upstairs and found that the meal had been served.

He was feeding the kittens some dumplings and chuckling while imagining his Brother Emperor's pent up face. Life was really good.

The adorable little things were happily munching on their food. But just moments later, one of them went stiff and struck dead. The other became crazed like a rabid dog and started clawing Xia Lian Bei's hand.

The cat shrieked and ran restlessly inside the room as though it was being chased and then like its sibling, went stiff and died.

Xia Lian Bei was speechless and had a silly thought for a moment. Was he really a death-bringing demon?

Casually putting this thought aside, his eyes darkened. The food was poisoned.

Cold sweat drenched his back. He was considered a veteran victim of poisons as there were countless attempts for his life since he was young so he became paranoid when it came to poisons.

Of course, he thoroughly checked this food earlier but saw no signs of any toxic substance. This could only mean that the gu[1] master was an elite among elites.

Xia Lian Bei made sure no one saw his appearance so it was impossible that his identity was revealed.

The gears inside his brain turned and creaked then he looked down on his body. He realized his façade was extremely androgynous.

He could have been mistaken as a maiden travelling alone. It was the same as screaming 'this lady is open for all sorts of crimes.'

Xia Lian Bei looked at the two lifeless creatures on the floor. His kittens...

A charming laugh with underlying currents of rage was heard inside the room.

The prince decided to do a hunt tonight.

Xia Lian Bei started off with the people inside the kitchen. The last thing these people saw was a white-haired demon claiming their souls.

Of course, Feng wang wasn't stupid. He was all by himself. And the inn's owner had unknown background so he wouldn't start a killing frenzy all of a sudden and alert the higher ups. He could only work slowly and clandestinely like a ghost in the dead of the night.

After interrogating some people inside a small room, he went out on the corridor. Still wearing a veil at this time.

But his steps involuntarily halted when he saw a familiar face. The person was wearing plain robes, was bare of any ornaments with her hair hung loose on her shoulders.