Chapter 10

"So," Tanner said as he put another forkful of chicken in his mouth, "have you gotten you mask yet?"

I stared at him, and he stared right back until it finally dawned on me. "Oh. No, but i'm ordering it tomorrow. What about you? Am I going to be able to spot you in the crowd?"

"Nope. Because I'm going to see you first. In your dress."

"I know," I mumbled sadly.

"Hey. You look gorgeous in it. In fact, i'm erasing the thought of you in it now, that way I can be just as dazzled with you in it." He closed his eyes. "Yep. I don't know what your dress looks like."

I laughed and kept eating. "Where's it at?"

"I heard it was at the Grand Regale Ballroom. And I have everything planned out. "Do you now?" I questioned as I put my fork down and stopped chewing.

"Oh yeah. You'll be blown away."

"Am I aloud to know what your doing?"

He looked at me and quirked his head. "Nope. Only Talia andI know what it is, and Talia has a deal with me, so if she tells you, its because someone had a gun to her head and told her she had to."

I squinted my eyes. "Your evil."

He grinned proudly. "I know. And you hate surprises, so that's why I did it."

I kept eating, trying to think how I was going to get him back. "So is thart what you were doing earlier?"

He winked and kept chewing. "Maybe. Maybe. Guess you'll have to wait."

I set my fork down, sat up straight, and stared at him. He didn't notice at first, but after he looked up, he repeated my actions. He licked his lips, and then just sat.

"What are you doing? Trying to pry into my personal files up there?" he said as he pointed to his head.

"No, you just need to tell me you what you planned and then i'll start talking to you again," I said finally. And with that I started eating again.

"What?" I ignored him.

"Sadie."

"Please?" I hid my grin and kept eating.

He sat back in his chair, obviously frustrated. He finally got up. Coming behind me, I could tell he bent down so he was level behind me.

"Please speak," he whispered gently in my ear.

I still sat there with a great big grin on my face. I just kept eating, waitng for his next go at it.

I waited, and while I knew he was still there, he didn't try anymore. He sighed and stood up straight.

"I have to go. I'll be back tomorrow." He headed to the door and my attention was promptly pulled away from my joking. He opened the door, and before he could slam it, I had to say it.

"Love you."

With a smile on his face and a wink shot towards me, I heard him say, "Love you too." And with that I heard the dorr shut, not slam. At least he wasn't mad at me.

I finished up my food and cleaned up the plates; I washed them in an attempt to forget the memory of him leaving. He sounded sad, and almost like he was mad, not at me, though.

I finished the dishes and started towards my room. I was about to open my door when my sister came out of her room. She had her jacket on and her cell phone, and I could tell she was on her way to visit my dad. I nodded once, and she repeated it.

Because that's what sister's do; they no each other inside and out.

Well, almost.

I opened my door and let a little sunshine burst in me. I could still smell him, his wonderful smell. Almost like home.