The Legend

Hunting was one of the most favored sports among the gods. Nothing delighted them more than the drama of the hunt and the demonstration of a god's superior skill. Hridvaldyr was considered the mightiest hunter among the gods: his ability to track, chase, and kill was unrivaled. He often went out in search of large and fantastic prey like monstrous bears or elk with towering horns, preferring a heart-pounding encounter to the collection of food, so it was no surprise when on a slow afternoon, he invited some friends to hunt with him in a nearby forest.

While some might prefer to slowly and quietly track their prey, Hridvaldyr and his friends stirred up a mighty racket as they crashed through the undergrowth, looking to rouse anything that was dangerous enough to provide a thrill. As they cut through the branches, Hridvaldyr noticed a bush rustling up ahead. A second later, a tusk poked through.

"A wild boar!" he cried, lifting up his spear. "At arms, men!"

The hunters drew their weapons and rushed towards the boar, causing it to roar in dismay and tear out of the bush, legs pounding angrily against the moist ground. Hridvaldyr sprang to the front and lead the group through the trees, looking for a moment of hesitation from the boar. They gave intense chase, but the boar was fast, and soon the men became tired. They chased the boar into a clearing, where a startling sight lead them to forget the animal entirely.

In the middle of the clearing was a bright green spear that stood upright, wrapped entirely in leaves and vines. The sun shining down on it gave it an ethereal glow. It appeared to be growing straight out of the ground, a product of nature itself. The men stood in awe, but Hridvaldyr walked right up and plucked it from the ground. He turned it over gently in his hands, admiring the intricate leaves and flowers that encircled the spear in a regal manner. He raised it to his shoulder, aimed at a nearby oak tree, and hurled it. It struck with a mighty CRACK, sending a tremor through the entire tree. Branches snapped and fell away as the core of the tree shook. Thick cracks spread through the trunk from the point at which the spear had torn into it. With a decisive snap, the oak split in half, thudding to the ground as the leaves swished and swayed with the force of the fall.

The men were astounded at the strength, speed, and grace of the spear. They crowded around Hridvaldyr and begged to try it. Each hunter was given a chance to handle it.

"It is so powerful!" they cried. "So light!" "So quick!" After everyone had tested it, an odd silence settled among the hunters. One shifted uncomfortably on his feet. "So," he said, "who gets to keep it?"

A shouting match broke out in the group as everyone claimed the spear for themselves. The forest rang with cries and explanations as to why each hunter was the best.

"ENOUGH!" boomed Hridvaldyr. "We will bring the spear to town and hold a tournament. The winner of the tournament will receive the spear as his prize."

The group mumbled its agreement and carefully carried the spear back to town.

Upon their return, Hridvaldyr called all of the gods to the town square. He explained the situation and flaunted the spear, over which the other gods cooed like small children. No one knew why it was in the forest or where it had come from, but all agreed that it was a magical object of the highest quality. A hunting tournament was scheduled for the following week.

On the day of the tournament, Hridvaldyr and the other gods lined up on the outskirts of the forest. Many of the other gods were also said to be legendary hunters. Each hunter was to be given the spear and could choose one animal to hunt and successfully bring back. The spear must be used to bring down the animal; all other weapons and tools were to be submitted to the officiant. The one with the largest and most impressive kill would be proclaimed the winner. Hridvaldyr requested to go last, preferring to see what he was up against.