Believe in Me: Chapter 1

~*Chapter 1*~

I had to sneak away from the palace today to come to school.  Most humans would think I’m crazy, sneaking away to come to school.  Maybe if they had to live with a sister like mine, they’d understand.

But I also enjoy school.  I have many human friends that are sweeter than any faerie I know.

“Aspen!  Aspen!” I heard someone call.

I turned around and came face-to-face with my best friend Kelsey.

She ran up to me and hugged me, “I didn’t think you were coming back this year.”

I hugged her back and closed my eyes tightly, “Me neither.”

I had just crossed my fingers behind my back when another voice said, “Me neither.”

I jumped away from Kelsey and spun around to face her.

I sighed and felt like crying.

My sister Azalea looked at me with a smug smile on her face.

Kelsey looked back and forth between us, “What’s going on?”

Azalea looked at Kelsey with disgust and was about to say something before I stepped in front of her.

“Let’s just go home,” I said, even though it broke my heart to hear myself say those words.

My sister’s grin grew until it didn’t seem smug.  It seemed evil.  Great.  What’s she going to do now?

But instead of making a scene she simply dragged me out the front doors.

Once we were outside she let go of my arm and continued walking while I stood there.

Without turning around she said, “I expect you to be home by four.”

Four?  She was going to let me go to school?  Why?  Why would she suddenly allow me to actually do something against her rules?  I noticed that she paused and took a deep shaky breath before walking again.

Why?

She whipped around suddenly and choked out with tears streaming down her face, “I just want you to be happy.”

What?  What in the world is going on right now?

What’s wrong?

She rolled her eyes at me, “As if you don’t know.”

I finally spoke to her out loud, “I don’t know.  What’s going on?”

She glared at me for a moment before her glare turned into a stare, “You honestly don’t know?”

I shook my head.

“You think it’s merely a coincidence that mom and dad were killed suddenly, and only three years later Avery was killed too?” she asked with more tears pouring down her face.

I felt tears prick my eyes watching her get emotional.

“I just want to know that you’re happy before-,” she choked, “before-“

“Before what?” I asked.

“Before they kill me too.”

I felt my eyes open wide as I breathed, “What?”

“They want to kill all of us, don’t you see?” she choked out.

No.  I didn’t see.  Although now, looking back on it, it wasn’t much of a coincidence. 

She took a deep breath as she tried to regain her composure, ”Just don’t be late to the ball.”

“Ball?” I asked.  “What ball?  Since when is there a ball?”