Sunrise, Sunset [4]

Start from the beginning

Hey, it's me, Hayden. I hope that you're not in some kind of trouble with your sister. I didn't mean to make her mad. I am glad that it was you I saved from the water. You're not like other girls I have met. Even though I didn't get to talk to you for very long, I can tell that you're different. Hope the rest of your night is going well. I left shortly after you and your sister did. I said goodbye to my brother-the guy in charge of the party, and went for a walk on the beach. Wow, this text is really long. Sorry. :)

By the end of reading the text I was grinning like a fool. Once I noticed this, I immediately straightened my face, but I could still feel the warmth my cheeks were radiating. Quickly, I saved his number in my phone. I read his message over again, getting butterflies in my stomach a second time. I stared at the phone in my hand for awhile before hitting the reply button.

Hi. =]

My sister was pretty mad, but I think that she will be fine. She's kind of moody :/

I enjoyed talking with you too. Are you still walking on the beach?

I hit send and set the phone slowly down on the table next to me. I tried to go back to work but kept looking at the phone out of the corner of my eye. About two minutes went by and it vibrated. I quickly picked it up off the table.

Yeah, still on the beach. I'm on the beach that lines all of the hotels. Aren't you in one of them? Care to join me? I sure would like your company. :]

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest as I read his message. It was strange for me to feel so excited about a guy. After Trevor, and even before him, I have always had a hard time connecting with and trusting men.

Yes I am. I am staying in the Wyndom suites. I will be there as-

I began to type out my reply, but stopped. I looked back into the room and saw Vanessa getting water in the kitchen. My heart sank. How could I leave to go see Hayden after our argument? I then remembered that I had told her I didn't care about her opinion of him. The truth was though, I did care. I quickly deleted part of the message and typed a new ending.

Yes I am. I am staying in the Wyndom suites. Perhaps though, another night? I am quite tired and need to catch up on my work. Thank you for the offer though.

I hit send and let the phone fall in my lap. It collided loudly with my computer and made me jump. I sighed and picked it back up, setting it on the table. I stared at my computer, no longer interested in my long job ahead of me. I saved my current progress and closed out of the programs. As I shut the lid and wrapped the blanket tighter around my shoulders, my phone buzzed. I stared at it a moment before grabbing it. I walked back into the warmth of the room and shut the door.

"Get much done?" Vanessa asked. I jumped at the sound of her voice. "Whoah, why so jumpy?" I cleared my throat and shrugged.

"Sorry, just scared me. Uh, I did a few pictures," I lied quickly as I walked passed her to my room. Once inside I tossed my blanket on the bed and set my computer back on my desk.

"Can I see the pictures?" Vanessa asked walking in behind me. I glanced nervously towards my computer and shook my head. Suddenly my phone vibrated again in my hand as a reminder of a text I had. The grip on my phone tightened.

"No, I want them to be a surprise," I replied. Vanessa's eyes moved to the phone in my hand. "It's Trevor. He's drunk texting me," I said when I noticed her gaze. Vanessa rolled her eyes.

"When is he going to learn that you guys are over?" she asked sitting on the edge of my bed. I laughed quietly wishing she would leave. "I'm sorry, Emma. I didn't mean to get so mad at you. I still don't like that you met Hayden and seem to actually like him, but I shouldn't have been so harsh. You don't have my blessing to see him, but you have an apology from me," she said adjusting her pajama top.

"Thank you...I guess," I said leaning up against the wall. My phone buzzed another reminder. I felt my cheeks flush as Vanessa once again looked at my hand.

"Put the boy out of his misery, Em!" Vanessa said standing up and walking towards me. She held her arms out, inviting me in for a hug. I gave a small smile and did the same, reaching out for a hug. "Night," she said as she left my room. I let out a loud sigh and quickly shut the door behind her. Not sure why I felt the need to have the door shut in order to read a text, but it felt like more privacy.  I opened my phone and clicked open his message.

Wyndom Suites it is then. :) How does tomorrow night sound?

Perfect.

I hit send quickly and tossed my phone on the bed. I leaned against the wall and slid down it. I had never been this bold before. A change was coming over me, and it felt frightening, yet really exciting. From on the ground I heard my phone tell me I had another message.

:)

I stared at the smiley face for about five minutes before crawling into bed and shutting off the light. Just as I was about to nod off to sleep, I opened my phone and read through our conversation one more time. Once again I lingered on the single reply of a smiley face. I'm not sure why, but it was the best text I have received in a long time. An actual smile spread across my face as I closed my phone and my eyes and allowed myself to nod off to dream land.

----------------

:)