reserve

———LIAM———

I exit the bus happily, despite all the looks I've been getting. Word must have spread about the fight, but that can't get me down when I'm with Derek. His knuckles brush mine slightly and I gaze in awe at his handsome face. He's got perfect cheekbones and a jawline to die for. Too bad he doesn't like me. I sigh slightly and walk down the path with him by my side to some pond. We've been sent out to collect examples of microorganisms, which I don't care about at all. Me and Derek are left alone with the pond. He sits down across from me with his legs crossed. I bend one of my knees and extend my other leg. Derek examines my stance and then does the same.

"Did you just copy my pose?" I ask indignantly.

"I- what? Maybe? I didn't realize... uhm... you looked cool, okay?! I want to be as cool as you!" He stammers, turning redder than blood. He rubs the back of his neck quickly.

"Relax, angel. I'm just teasing you. Plus, I doubt a loser like me looks cool." Shit, he's gonna kill me.

"What did I fucking say about calling yourself that?" He yells, far more angry than I'd expected. "You're not, you're better. You're great. I want to be like you, Liam! Don't you ever call yourself that again!" He's heated.

"Calm down! It's just a word. It doesn't hurt, I'm called it far more than you'd expect. You actually have friends, I don't. Just look at me! I'm the absolute definition of a loser." Derek's hands clench into fists.

"Who calls you that," he asks quietly. His anger scares me, I don't know why he cares so much.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"I said who fucking calls you that!" He explodes, jumping to his feet. "I'll kill them, I really will. No one calls you that, I said no one. If they do, they can talk to me. You're not a loser, I am. You're a good person, you deserve better." His voice cracks slightly. "You're my sunshine." I stand up and grab his hands calmingly. I can feel him hyperventilating and, to be honest, overall freaking out.

"Why do you even care? It's not like you've acknowledged my existence since eighth grade." His face goes slack, lost of all emotion. "Shit, man, I'm sorry," I start, realizing I'd said the wrong thing. He sits on the ground hopelessly, looking lost.

"No, you're right. I'm the one who made you feel like this about yourself. This is all my fault." I press my knees against his.

"I'm sor-" I start but he silences me quickly.

"Stop. Apologizing. It's my fault, it always is. You think you're a loser, that you're not cool, all because of me. I've never seen you like that but that's how I made you feel. I care about you, Liam, I really do. I don't know why, but I do. For your sake, I'd get away from me", he moans, dropping his head in his knees. I wrap my arms around him.

"I'm never going to leave," I murmur.

———DEREK———

His delicate arms wrap around my shaking frame. I turn my body and press my face into his side. I don't wanna be a tough guy anymore, I just want to be able to cry into his arms. He holds me tighter than I could've ever imagined and it's nice.

"You shouldn't listen to me. I'm dumb, I'm weird, I'm different. I'm just going to hurt you," I mumble into his side. He holds me tighter and puts his head on mine.

"No. If you hurt me, you hurt me. I don't care. I'm not going anywhere." I sob into his side, giving up.

"No, I don't wanna hurt you! You're too important, I can't, I can't," I moan.

"I don't care," he whispers.

———

"So, are we eating dinner together in our room or in the dining hall?" Asks Liam as I collapse onto my bed.

"You choose," I mumble, hiding underneath my blankets.

"It doesn't look like you're ready to do much today, so I'll call room service," he says with a laugh. I pull the blankets over my head and huff. Liam calls down and orders our dinner. I'm so tired but I can't say I'm quite sure why.

———

"Wake up, angel," calls Liam, ripping the blankets off my head. I grumble at him and sit up. "It's only 6! You can't be going to sleep!" He retaliates. I roll my eyes and take my food from his hands. I guess I fell asleep for a little bit, I don't even remember. Liam sits next to me; his back against the wall at the side of my bed. His feet stretch across it horizontally. I'm glad I chose the bed in the corner, they always make me feel safe. I scoot over so I'm sitting next to him.

       "How did you know exactly what I would like to eat?" I ask in awe, staring at my extremely specific hamburger. It has to have cheddar cheese, bacon, a tomato, mustard, and one squirt of ketchup. I'm extremely picky.

        "We were best friends," he teases, shoving me lightly. I feel guilty for both not remembering his preferred meal and ending that friendship. I bite into my burger.

        "So what are we doing tomorrow?" I ask him. He seems to think for a second as I scratch my ankle cast. I was given crutches but I refuse to use them.

        "Probably the same as today," he says, staring at my ankle. "Hey, how does that feel? I never really asked you about it but it looks like it would hurt."

        "Don't worry about me, Sunshine. I'm fine, what about you?" Liam smiles slightly but looks a bit upset.

      "Fine," he responds with a shrug. I put my hand on his knee.

      "How do you feel?" I ask him again. He puts his head against the wall and looks away from me.

      "My side hurts, I guess," he mutters, scratching the back of his head.

      "Like your rib?" I ask, moving so I can see his face.

      "Yeah," he mutters, looking embarrassed.

       "Don't be embarrassed about it. I swear, I'm going to go kill them," I say, feeling more angry then I've really ever felt.

     "No, Derek," calls Liam, but I'm already up and limping towards the door. I can't let him get hurt anymore, I just can't.