Chapter 1 - It's Almost Fate

Start from the beginning

Mia's eyes narrowed. "I'm sorry, come again?"

"Go home, Mia. I need a new article very soon and you could use the boost. For inspiration of course, not a vacation."

"Right," she breathed, a whirlwind of thoughts sprouting across her subconscious. "Um, thank you."

"I also need you to visit the London office while you're there. We'll reimburse everything, including train tickets." Tanya tilted her head in curiosity. "You don't seem very excited."

Mia shook her head. "I am, very. It's just that I haven't been back in a while."

"How long?"

She shrugged. "I dunno, around five years."

"You don't go home for the holidays?"

"That was the last time I did. 2013," Mia said, shaking her head. "Haven't had the opportunity to go back lately."

"Well, here it is now. I'll send you the details within an hour. Please do better, Mia."

She nodded and stood up. "You won't be disappointed."

—•—•—

Richard Madden pulled the glass door open as the bell above it rang, informing the shopkeeper of his presence. He took off his black sunglasses and hung them on the collar of his white crewneck shirt. His dark brown jacket hugged his torso perfectly, the ankles of his jeans tucked beneath a pair of matching brown boots. He paused as the door closed behind him, breathing in the sweet aroma of every flower the shop had to offer.

"Dick?"

Richard walked towards the voice and smiled, his arms opened wide. "Mrs. Cunningham," he said, pulling her in for a hug and kissing her forehead. "Beautiful as always."

Margaret held his face in her warm palms, gazing at the grown man in awe. "I told you, call me Marge! And oh my days..." She pinched the apples of his cheeks, making Richard laugh. "What a fine lad! Of course, you've always been so handsome, but I don't remember it being this much."

They pulled away from each other and Margaret gasped, looking back at the glass window behind the cash register. "I've got to tell Tom that you're here! Excuse me." She hurried away, slipping through the door as Richard took in the familiar scene.

He leaned on the wooden counter, feeling the age of the wood chip off a bit as his forearm supported his weight. A light buzz hailed from the chillers that housed rows of intricate bouquets, and a shelf that stood taller than Richard carefully stored rolls of ribbons and colored parchment paper that had been organized down to the T.

A bald man appeared at the door, a smile generously stretched across his face. The wrinkles around his eyes deepened, his low-pitched laugh making Richard smile himself.

"Richard!" Tom roared, pulling him in for a hug and patting his shoulder. "I knew you couldn't stay away from home for too long. What brings you in today?"

"Mum's birthday," Richard said, his hands stuffed into the front pockets of his jeans. "I need the most expensive arrangement you have."

Tom joined his wife behind the counter, taking out a notepad. "Right, it is Pat's birthday! Tomorrow at noon, int it?"

Richard nodded. "Yes. You'll be there, right?"

Margaret covered her mouth as she giggled. "When have we ever missed it, Richard?"

He sarcastically shrugged. "You have a point there."

"How long will you be in town for?" Tom asked, writing down a note to himself on his pad. "I'm sure you're busy."

"I've been busy, yeah. Just finished shooting a show that knocked the life out of me. It was a tough character."

"What show is it?" Margaret asked, her left hand on her hip as her right rested on the table.

"I can't talk about it yet. Sorry," Richard said. "But I'm sure my parents will let you know when it's out. Anyway, I actually don't know how long I'll be here for. I just wanted to come home whilst I have the time."

"Oh, well you must stay for the week at least. Your best friend's flying in tomorrow," Margaret revealed.

Richard almost forgot who his best friend was before his eyes lit up, the expression on his face priceless like a small child's. "Mia?" he breathed. "She's coming home?"

"For the week," Tom added. "Something with work. It's better than nothing, yeah?"

"Of course! God, I haven't seen her in... I dunno. I wanna say, four years? When I surprised her on her birthday."

"And she's complained that you haven't visited her since!" Margaret chimed. "We haven't seen her in five. Poor Amelia's been a workaholic lately, always at a desk."

Richard imagined Mia at her desk in their old flat, her hair tied in a messy bun as she frantically typed away at her laptop. She'd wear oversized pajamas, and a mug of ginger tea and honey would always be nearby.

He threw in his two cents. "That sounds about right."

Tom nodded. "Anyway, we'll give Pat the best we have in here, fresh on your doorstep tomorrow at noon. Any message on the card?" He kept the pen on the paper, looking up at Richard.

"No, I think we should scrap the card tomorrow. It seems redundant with the party and all."

Tom agreed. "Fair. Anything else?"

Richard couldn't stop smiling as he spaced out, excited to see Mia after the many failed times he'd promised to visit her in New York. He wasn't sure if she was upset at him for it, but he knew that she'd still be overjoyed to see him after so long. She had to be, despite the distance that had piled up between them.

"Yeah, one more thing," Richard said, pointing at the notepad. "Can you make that two arrangements? Separate, please."

Tom raised an eyebrow. "So, one for your mum and one for...?"

Richard chewed on his bottom lip and glanced away momentarily, feeling his face turn red. He reached into his back pocket to distract himself, taking out his wallet.

He pulled out some cash, facing the Cunninghams again. "For your beautiful daughter, of course."