Chapter 7

Visitors

Twilight galloped through the twisting hallways of Canterlot Castle after her mentor. Up the stairs, down the hallway, and towards Celestia's bedchambers she galloped, calling her name all the while. Although her wings flared, she didn't take to the air after her. Nor did she spark her horn to teleport or halt the fleeing alicorn.

"Celestia! Celestia, wait!"

With her heart hammering in her chest, Twilight kept up as best as she could. While sweat began to trickle down her neck and forehead throughout the pursuit, Princess Celestia appeared to be as fresh as a rose. In between gasps for breath, Twilight called out to her again, to no avail.

"What's wrong? Celestia, please!"

Never before had she seen Princess Celestia like this—running wild, like a timberwolf navigating through a maze of apple trees. Nor had Twilight seen her so angry as when Orion had spat those hateful words with malice in his eyes. 

Celestia's hooves led her several levels up the Castle with ease. Twilight realized that they were headed towards the Royal chambers. She would've sighed in relief if she'd had the spare breath to do so.

When Night Watch came into view—wide-eyed and jaw agape—Celestia slowed her hooves at last, skidding to a halt just before her door.

Twilight, panting, joined her side. "Ce... Celestia... Are you—"

"Your Highness! Are you alright?" Night Watch stepped towards Princess Celestia, darting his eyes all around the hallway. He shifted to Twilight. "Your Highness, are you two in danger?"

Twilight shook her head. "No, nothing like that. It's just—"

Princess Celestia met her guard's eyes. "Night Watch..."

"Yes, Your Highness?" The stallion leaned against his weapon, trembling before his Princess.

Celestia took a deep breath and opened the door with her magic. "Unless it is my sister or Captain Ironhoof, please turn away any visitor for the remainder of the afternoon."

Locking eyes with Twilight, Celestia trotted through the threshold, motioning her to follow.

"Yes, Your Highness! Of course!" Night Watch stood tall, picking his jaw off the floor and returning to his previous, vigilant stance.

Confused, Twilight looked from the guard to Celestia, still slowly catching her breath. Celestia held the door open with her aura, waiting inside.

A thousand questions battled for dominance in Twilight's mind when she passed through the doors and entered her mentor's chamber. When Celestia closed the door behind them, Twilight could only stare up at her. Nightmare 'Oh poor Tia she is worried for you Luna and herself doesn't it feel like she is putting more of the burden on you' 'Just shut up!'

At her student's immediate silence, Celestia lowered her gaze to the floor, shaking her head. "Twilight... I...

"I'm so sorry."

Twilight trotted up to her. "Sorry?"

Celestia sat down on her haunches, sighing. Once Twilight reached her, she extended a wing and brushed her shoulder with her wingtips, avoiding her eyes. "I'm sorry that I lost my temper like that. That I..."

As she bit her lip, Celestia looked around her room. Her sun was shining brightly on this pristine day, rising up against Mount Canterlot. Not a cloud could be found in the sky, nor any pegasi to accompany them.