I frowned, looking around the room. Griffin was clutching onto Ben's hand, both their faces saturated in worry. Axel was as stone-faced as usual, though his fists were clenched so tight the silver skin around his knuckles were turning white. Aelin seemed to look just as grim, though it all paled in comparison to the loss and concern on Stewart's face. He was holding onto V as though his life depended on it.

"What's going on?" I whispered to Finn.

"They are voting on a new Directive." He said, keeping his voice low. 

"What?" I asked, but V swung around and shushed us. The news anchor on the screen had gone quiet, the camera now zoomed in on the large entrance of the courthouse. People were filing out of the building, all wearing expensive, well-tailored suits and somber expressions.

"It seems that the votes are in. Here comes Senator McClaren to address us." The news anchor said as a short, balding man with a pinstriped suit stepped towards a small platform right in front of the courthouse.

"Good morning, ladies and gentleman." He said, his voice echoing into the open sky. From what I could see as the camera scanned the crowd, it was mainly news reporters and journalists waiting in front of him "Thank you all for coming out on such short notice, but we wanted to broadcast our decision as soon as it was made. It is with great pleasure that I announce the acceptance of the Clean Cities Directive."

The crowd erupted, people were yelling out questions and asking for statements, but I barely heard them over the deafening quiet in the room I was standing in. Stewart had gone unnaturally still, his whole body tense as the senator continued.

"This Directive will ensure the sanctity and culture of each city is better preserved, as well as improve the market value of countless neighborhoods and areas." He said, smiling. He then pointed somewhere in the crowd, clearly now taking questions. "Yes?"

"What exactly will this Directive mean to those it effects and how will it be enforced?" A voice came, though the camera remained focused on the man standing on the podium.

"Starting tomorrow, there will be a full clean up of every major city in this country. We have enlisted the help of thousands of individuals willing to volunteer their time to help us in this effort, most of which have a military or law enforcement background." McClaren said, smiling at the crowd. He seemed to be pausing for dramatic effect so I took the opportunity to question Finn.

"What are they talking about? What are they cleaning_"

"People," He said, his eyes wide. "He is talking about people." 

 It felt as though the air was knocked from my lungs, I was absolutely speechless as McClaren opened his mouth again.

"Any homeless individual found will be collected and escorted outside of the city limits. After the cleanup has been completed, any homeless individual found within a city will be subject to the full force of the law." He gave another dazzling smile, obviously reveling in the attention. "Any homeless individual who is still a minor will be taken to the appropriate facilities, be it an orphanage or House, should we not be able to contact any relatives. Next question."

"Is there any way to volunteer to be a part of the cleanup efforts?" Someone asked, it sounded like they were talking about cleaning up trash. 

"I'm glad you asked," McClaren answered, now staring into the nearest camera. "Should you be willing and able to help us bring back the virtue and goodness of your city, please go onto the Clean City Directive website, a schedule of each cleanup time and date will be listed for each city being affected."

"Holy shit," Ben whispered, reminding me where I was. 

This can't be real. This cannot be real. How can they do this? How is this possible? My thoughts began to crowd in my head, panic slowly settling in. I was drawn back to reality when V took in a sharp breath and Griffin shouted, "Yeah answer that you fucktard!" I stared back at the screen. The camera was now zooming in on a woman, she was wearing an expensive looking black dress and carrying a microphone with some News channel's name printed on the side.