2| Charming

The road trip is long and awkward. It's just me and Jax in the van, the other two are riding on their own motorcycles. He told me that he lives in Charming, which is about two hours away and we've been on the road for one hour.

"Don't worry you're gonna like it there" he says still watching the road. I look at him, examining the entirety of his appearance. Honestly, he's quite attractive. His shiny golden shoulder length hair and light blue eyes definitely makes him look dreamy. But it's going to take more than good looks to make me accept the fact that he is going to be my husband.

"Hopefully, cause I'm stuck no matter what. So it doesn't really matter," I give him a feisty reply.

"Woah, where did this attitude come from all of a sudden?" he chuckles, "you went from barely saying a word to trying to bite my head off"

A small smile almost takes over my face but I stop myself. I don't like to open up to people this soon but at least his lightheartedness gives me the confidence to confront him about certain things.
"So what exactly do you people do?" I ask him, not really expecting honesty.

"umm, do you want the real answer or the fake one?" his eyes quickly shift to me.

"the real one," I say.

"Well, we do a little bit of everything from the gun trade to the drug trade. Not to mention Teller-Morrow Automotive." 

My eyes widen in shock. "so you're like a gangster?"

He laughs, "if that's what you want to call it".

The rest of the ride to Charming is quiet.He looked at me a few times but other than that there was absolutely zero interaction. It's weird being in a car with a criminal. He's nice but that doesn't take away from who he is and what he does. For all I know he might have killed people.
____________________________________

"Welcome to the clubhouse, it's like a second home to me" the van pulls up to a mechanics shop. It's busy, the parking lot is filled with motorcycles and dodgy looking men hanging around.

"it's cool, I guess" my eyes search the unfamiliar surroundings

"it's cool, I guess" my eyes search the unfamiliar surroundings. It reminds me of the old biker movies my dad used to watch.

"I have a few people I want you to meet, mostly club members and old ladies"

This is the second time I've heard the term 'old ladies'. I hope he doesn't think I'm stupid for not knowing.

"Um, what does that mean?" I nervously twirl my hair in between my fingers.

"huh, what does what mean?" he furrows his eyebrows.

"you said 'old lady', I don't get it "

"Oh, it's just another word for girlfriend or wife. It's a respect thing"

"So... Am I your old lady?"

"Yeah, I just haven't called you that yet cause I didn't want to make you more uncomfortable than I already know you are"

The more we speak to each other the more I notice how thoughtful and kind he is. He's a considerate gangster to say the least.

"come let's go" he reaches over and unlocks my door then gets out the car. I hurry to follow him, I jump out and run to grab his hand before he gets too far ahead of me.

"are you alright?" he stops walking and turns to me.

"yeah, I just don't want to get left behind " I smile to hide my fear.

"Melanie, you're with me, I'll keep you safe. I promise" we both gaze into each other's eyes for so long it felt like time was moving in slow motion.

I deeply inhale and exhale, "okay, I trust you"

He squeezes my hand tighter and leads me into the small building.