chapter ten - peace

My head pounds dully in the background as my mind tries to keep up with the chatter

My head pounds dully in the background as my mind tries to keep up with the chatter. The clinical smell that surrounds the whole building is making me sick to the stomach and my hands are fluttering beside me, desperate to be at home.

But home seems so far away right now and I find myself on the verge of breaking down when I can't grab Theo's hand in the busy front desk of the hospital. Standing in a small circle, I'm signing forms as Theo, Clara and Noah discuss what's the best way around the dangers waiting outside.

I was warned by the doctor that too much noise or bright lights could overwhelm me more than usual. It could seriously effect me and as soon as these words left the doctor's mouth, Theo has made it his mission to get me home safely.

Finishing my forms, Clara takes a peek at them and her mouth drops open. "They're charging you how much?!"

"I know, it's ridiculous." I quietly laugh.

"God, how to crush the American Dream." Clara laughs before she captures the attention of the receptionist.

"Hi, here's the forms returned. Are we free to go?" She asks.

The receptionist stutters something that sounds like a yes and we all take that as a go. Leaving the area, we head to the doors that will open up into my worst nightmare. They're closed for now and they have no windows which means we're completely hidden. Turning to Theo, I'm confused to see that he and Noah have switched shirts.

"Why have you changed shirts?" I ask.

"He spent the night and that would be obvious with his crumpled shirt. This way it's less suspicious." Noah says, a smirk pulling at his lips.

"I don't think they'll be looking at the crumples in his shirt, but good for you." Clara laughs, her tone sounding like she's congratulating a three year-old.

"Anyway, what's the plan?" I ask, wanting to get out of here as soon as possible.

I just want to be at home.

"Okay, you're going to head out there with Noah and Clara and your parents are waiting with their car for you to get into. I'm going to leave through the front and hopefully distract them, since they're most interested in you and I since we haven't been spotted since it happened. Leaving through the front will be more obvious and draw more attention to me." Theo explains, stepping forward to take both of my hands in his.

"I don't like that you're going out there alone." I whisper, looking up at him.

Theo uses his thumbs to stroke back and forth against my knuckles. Leaning forward, he plants a soft, sweet kiss on my mouth before drawing back. "I've handled them once, I can handle them again. You guys are going to go back to Alex's and I'm going to go back to mine for half an hour. By which time, they'll probably be gone and I'll come round to yours."