Chapter Thirty Two

"How are you feeling?" Dr. Torres asked as she set up the ultra sound machine. She looked so happy, I even recognized a ring on her left hand.

"That's such a beautiful ring." I smiled at her.

"Thank you, my girlfriend just proposed." She glanced at it and her face was turning crimson red.

"That's so sweet, congratulations. How long have you guys been together?"

"Thank you, three years. I'd be lying if I said there weren't bumps in the road but it's worth it. Enough about me, how are you feeling?"

"I've been cramping a bit."

"How often is a bit?" She clicked the warmer button to heat up the gel fast.

"Uh," I paused to think.

"Probably three to four times a week, and she complains of lower back pain too." Matty answered for me.

"Have you had any discharge?" She asked as I lifted up my shirt.

"Yeah, but that's normal I read." I looked at Matty who had a confused look on his face.

"Most of the time, but you're a small girl plus at your age is young so you're at risk for early labor. Let's just see what your girl is doing in there before we jump to any conclusions." She smiled as she grabbed the bottle of gel and squeezed a small amount on my humongous stomach.

She moved the wand around my lower stomach and looked deeper into the screen. Her smile dropped into an angry face, "Oh you stubborn stubborn girl."

"What? What's going on?" Matty asked. I could hear the hesitancy in his voice.

"Is everything okay?"

"You're showing signs of premature labor, it only occurs in about twelve percent of women." She twirled the wand around some more. "I highly suggest you stay in bed rest, I'm going to prescribe you some progesterone to help prevent the preterm labor from happening."

"Did I do something wrong?"

"No, honey. Not at all, anything as small as stress can cause this to happen and you've been through a lot throughout this pregnancy. That's why we are going to do everything in our power to keep that girl of yours in there for at least three more weeks."

"So everything is going to be fine? What's the worst that can happen?" Matty asked.

"Worst case scenario the progesterone doesn't work and her water breaks. You have a very high chance of survival rate at thirty four weeks, but there could be possible lung complications as the lungs grow more towards the end of the pregnancy. But like I said, let's see what happens before we jump to worst case scenario." She smiled at Matty and I before turning off the computer.

"Thank you, Dr. Torres." I smiled as I wiped my stomach of the cold slime.

"I want to see you in one week, and remember bed rest. Nothing to get her going."

"Thanks again." Matty said before she exited the room. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I sighed.

"Let's try again, you okay?"

"I uh, I'm failing English. I've never failed before, and now I'm going to have to think of a clever email to send my teachers to gather my work for the rest of the school year so I can learn off of the computer."

"Babe, it's okay if you get set back a bit. But yours and our baby girls lives are more important than anything." He kissed my forehead. "Come on, let's get you in bed."