Merch Girl

"Hey Y/N, need some help carrying all these boxes?" Oli asked from behind me.

"No thank you, it's not that heavy anyway!" I thanked him as I put the box on the floor next to the ones I had already unloaded.

I was the merch girl for the band Bring Me The Horizon, and it seemed like my job actually meant carrying dozens of boxes from a truck to a venue, and then from the venue back into the truck. One night I even dreamed that I was lost in a labyrinth of cardboard boxes full of tee-shirts, posters and wristbands.

The boxes were quite heavy, but I was used to carrying them without complaining. That's why I always rejected Oliver's offers to help me. Well, no. To be honest, it wasn't the only reason. Sure I wanted to prove the guys that I could do my job without help and that they had made a good choice when hiring me.

To be honest, I had started developing feelings for him as soon as the tour started: he was a nice guy, always offering to help me or making sure I was okay, not to mention that he was also very attractive. I tried to forget about these feelings and just do my job. But being teased about Oli by everybody in the BMTH crew – and even by the guys themselves sometimes – definitely wasn't helping.

I had just been asked to bring some chairs back from a closet to the merch table. I was walking through the corridor when I heard laughing coming from behind the door of the green room.

"So Oli, anything new between you and Y/N?" Jordan asked him, not knowing I was just walking by the room.

I stopped dead in my track and waited silently by the door, trying to more of this conversation.

"What?" Oli asked bluntly.

"Seriously man, you're always by the merch for any reason." Matt started.

"What's become so interesting about carrying boxes suddenly?" Lee added teasingly.

"I don't know what you're talking about guys, she's just another merch girl! And there are plenty of other girls out there anyway." He snapped and left the room suddenly.

I turned around quickly and started walking toward the closed, not wanting to be caught eavesdropping. Tears welled up from my eyes as the words sank in. She's just another merch girl. There are plenty of other girls out there. A hand on my shoulder stopped me from going any farther though.

"Y/N..." Oli started.

"What?!" I snapped without even turning around.

"You- you heard what we just said?" He asked, stuttering.

"Yes I did, thank you. No need to remind me of that." I cut him off.

I couldn't believe it! How could I have thought for one second that I had a with him? I was a 18-year-old merch girl, dreaming of a famous, successful singer who was 10 years older than me. How stupid of me.

"What do you want?" I turned around abruptly to look at him.

"Y/N let me explain-" He began but I cut him off.

"What, Oliver?!" I asked again.

"Please Y/N, give me 5 minutes to explain myself." He pleaded. I nodded, letting him continue. "Let's go somewhere quieter to talk then."

He took my hand in his and led me to another room. I sat on the couch that was in the corner of the room while he closed the door and sat next to me. He took a deep breath before speaking up.

"What you heard me telling the guys, it's not true. It's actually the opposite of the truth." He started.

"Really? You sounded quite convinced though." I couldn't help but sound bitter.

"Please, believe me. The guys tease me non-stop about you, and I think they do the same with you. I just wanted them to leave me alone! I know that you don't feel the same and it already hurts enough." He looked down at his feet.

"What- what do you mean, I don't feel the same?" I asked curious.

"Well obviously you just see me as a friend." He stated.

"And what about you?" I inquired.

He fidgeted with his hands without looking at me, not saying a word. I cleared my throat and he finally looked at me.

"I love you, Y/N." He blurted out.

"You- you love me?" I was dumbfounded.

"Yes I do, and that's why it pains me to see that you don't care, that you reject me every time I try to talk to you or help you. And the guys don't help by teasing me either." He explained.

"And why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"It'd have been useless since you don't love me anyway." He turned away.

"And what if I really like you, too?" I smiled shyly.

"Really?!" He looked up quickly. "So it means that you feel the same?"

"Yes I do. And me rejecting your help was just a way to try and stop the guys from teasing me too." I explained. "Also, I'm a bit scared to be honest."

"About what? Do you think I'm lying? Because I can promise you that I'm not!"

"But what about the age difference then? You're 28 while I'm only 18, that's 10 years Oliver!" I explained. "What are people going to think about us? You're famous, successful and adored by millions of fans, while I'm just nothing."

"It doesn't matter! I don't care about what people think or say, I just care about us Y/N." He took my hands in his and traced circles with his thumb over the back of my hand. "Do you believe me? It doesn't matter."

I nodded, trying hard to believe him.

"Will you give me a chance Y/N? Will you be my girlfriend?" He asked hopefully.

"Yes. Yes I will, Oliver." I grinned from ear to ear.

His smile only grew wider when I answered. He took a strand of hair that has fallen over my eyes and placed it carefully behind my ear. We stayed in a comfortable silence, just looking into each other's eyes and smiling.

"So I'm not just another merch girl then?" I asked playfully.

"You're so much more than that Y/N." He whispered as he placed his index finger under my chin.

Our faces get closer and our lips final met, the contact sending sparks in our bodies. Our lips kept on moving against the others, until the door opened abruptly and revealed Jordan carrying a pile of boxes.

"Y/N we need you to- wow!" He exclaimed as he caught the two of us kissing lovingly. "Lee, I won my , you owe me 10 bucks!" He shouted as he left the room laughing.