34: The City on the Water

Appa swam down a sludge infested river with most of the group on his back, Aang playing in the dirty water. Tu Cho was sitting boredly in the saddle beside Sokka who was fishing. "You can't even see into the water. I don't think there's going to be any fish, Sokka."

Sokka shrugged boredly. "Not much else to do."

Tu Cho watched as Aang airbent himself up into the saddle. "Hey guys, I think this river's polluted." He bent the residual goop off himself, sliming the rest of the gang in the process.

Tu Cho gasped. "Aang!"

Aang shot another blast of air at them and everyone's clean again. "Sorry, Tu Cho."

"It's okay, Aang," Tu Cho sighed.

Sokka pulled up his fishing string. "Well, that explains why I can't catch a fish around here. Because normally my fishing skills are... off the hook! Get it? Like a fishing hook?" The kids didn't laugh and only the chirping of a cricket-Finch could be heard.

"Too bad your skills aren't on the hook," Toph's said sassily. Her come back was far more successful. All the kids laughed except Sokka, who scowled.

"Your joke wasn't that bad, Sokka," Tu Cho said encouragingly. "We're just hungry and tired of dried fruits."

Katara nodded. "It looks like we'll need to go somewhere else to get food." She looked at Sokka. "Assuming that'll fit into Sokka's master schedule."

Sokka unrolled the long scroll and looked at his planned to the minute schedule. "Hm... it's doable. But that means only two potty breaks today!"

Tu Cho rolled her eyes. He could tell that to the fetus with a foot in the young mom's bladder.

Aang pointed down the river. "Hey, maybe we can get food there."

Tu Cho turned and looked at the village. "It's Jang Hui, a fishing town. Or it used to be. It's been a long time since I've seen it. I only saw it in person once but it used to be beautiful when I was younger with its bright blue waters and softly colored floating homes."

"With all the pollution it probably won't be as pretty." Sokka said as Aang made Appa approach the shore.

"I'm sure it will still look the same to me," Toph said sarcastically.

"Yeah..." Tu Cho sighed, disappointed. "I'm sure it will."