Magnetic - Chapter 17

For the entire car ride, Professor Klein didn't say anything and I was thankful because my mind was reeling. Turning off my phone as a precaution, the image of Damien's face as his jaw dropped to the floor and we pull out of the hotel was stuck in my head. I was glad to finally arrive at the hangar and head home. I had the worst luck in Portland.

"He'll get you set up, I just have to talk to the pilot." Professor Klein explained as a tall man in a jumpsuit led me into the waiting helicopter.

I was strapped in and ready to go while I waited for Professor Klein. Eventually, the helicopter was ready for departure and we were on our way. Amazingly, take off the second time wasn't as bad as the first.

Professor Klein and the pilot chatted over the headset that rested over my ears but I tuned them out.

All I could think about was Damien and what he did after I left. Did he go back to his room? Or, did he go back to her? Would he ever coming back to campus? What would I even say to him if he did?

Less than an hour later, we arrived at the hangar that we initially departed from. I was beyond grateful to be back near campus and hopefully back to a little normalcy. I just wanted to crawl into my bed and not come out until graduation.

I hated that dealing with Damien made me feel that way. Each time that he hurt me, I found myself wanting to crawl into a hole to escape. And yet, I found myself still willing to give being together another chance.

Would I never learn?

"I'll have the driver drop you back at your dorm." Professor Klein smiled as we said goodbye shortly after we landed. "I'm afraid I've got to head elsewhere to take care of some business."

"No problem." I assured him. "Again, thanks for everything!"

He reminded me that it was his pleasure to show me Portland and he hurried off into a different car that had also pulled up to the hangar. Professor Klein's car sped off and I climbed into the car assigned to take me back to campus.

The ride back was quiet and I tried to calm my mind as we pulled up to the dorm. I didn't know if Jessa would be there and I definitely didn't want to talk about what happened—not yet. I was still processing it myself.

"Harper!" Jessa smiles from her bed when I walked into the room. "You're early."

I explained that we caught an earlier flight back but, I left out everything about the trip that had to do with Damien. When I finished, I gathered my things for a quick shower. I needed a good soak under scalding hot water to settle me before I crawled into bed.

Finding no wait for a shower stall, I spent a good twenty minutes drowning under the hot water. It felt good against my skin and it was hard to pull myself out of the water once it began to run cold.

Back in the room, I let my wet curls hand across one shoulder as I dried my hair with a towel. Jessa watched me carefully but didn't comment on my demeanor. She let me decompress as I climb under the covers on my bed.

I rolled over to face the wall and I struggled to actually fall asleep, despite being incredibly exhausted. I thought about Damien and if I'd see him on Monday at work. He'd been avoiding campus lately and after our latest Portland fiasco, it seemed likelier that he would pull another Houdini act.

My thoughts drifted to the blonde salesgirl from the boutique. Who was she? How did she know Damien? They seemed to know each other well considering how handsy they were being. That was the "stuff" that Damien had to take care of, apparently. I was so mad at myself for not realizing that I was being played. He played me and I was still contemplating giving him a chance.