155: I Got All the Gifts I Ever Wanted

The party was a blur. Adi could remember playing with dolls, and tugging the wrapping paper off a dozen different presents. She could remember a lot of different hands hugging her, or patting her on the head to tell her what a good girl she was. And every time she heard that, she felt so proud.

They said a lot of other things too. Things that Adelaide couldn't understand, but she didn't care. There were presents in front of her, big shiny things in all kinds of different colours. She grabbed at them, and did her best to hold them even if her hands didn't behave. She tried to put things in her mouth, and found that a lot of things in the lounge were bigger than she thought.

Somebody laughed when she managed to grasp her cup, expecting that a child wouldn't like the strong coffee it currently held. But even when she was a baby, Adelaide loved the rich, honey-softened bitterness. They laughed when she tried to open her presents, too, but somebody with bigger, stronger hands was there to help her get into every gift. For part of the afternoon and evening, she was allowed to grow up a little so that she could giggle as Britney painted her nails, and squeal in laughter when she saw her own first attempts to do her makeup.

Sometimes she was old enough to play with dolls, she remembered that. And sometimes she felt so weak that all she could do was lie on the couch hugging a couple of super giant cuddly toys, who seemed almost as big as Adi. In between, she was all kinds of different ages, and Toni was always there to make sure she was safe. She went from baby to child and back again a dozen times, and it was a thrilling rollercoaster ride all the way. She couldn't remember ever having so much fun, and she was never quite old enough to worry about what had happened.

"I never imagined this would be so much fun!" It was Laura who said it, as the girls were all filing out in the early evening, but Adi would have been voicing the same sentiments if she'd been able to think of the words, or to remember what words were for.

"Who doesn't love playing with kids?" Mom answered with a shrug.

"I think even the brat likes having a new baby sister."

"Let's hope that lasts. Maybe they can grow up a little closer, and stop needling each other all the time."

Adi just waved and smiles, letting the grown-up chat wash over her. She didn't know the words, and she didn't think it was worth learning them, because she might get to play with her toys again soon. She knew she had new toys, but she couldn't quite remember what they were, so she knew it was going to be a lovely surprise. Just like all the other times she'd set eyes on something that previously slipped her attention.

"You okay, baby?" Toni asked, a hand on Adi's shoulder surprising her enough to bring out a squeaky laugh. "Thought I saw a little bit of a pout there."

Adi shook her head, even if she didn't understand the words. She just knew that she had to be a good girl, and play with her toys some more.

"That's good. Just remember, if you were a baby you wouldn't think about your adult life, because that's a big, exciting mystery to look forward to. Right?"

This time Adi nodded energetically, like her head was bouncing up and down on a spring. Toni had reminded her of that a few times already, but it brought back her smile every time she heard it. And she knew that whatever happened today, she had an amazing future to look forward to, when it was time for her to grow up. And an amazing afternoon, playing with all the toys she'd got, and maybe even staying up super late. She was vaguely aware that it was her first birthday. She didn't really know what that meant, but if it was anything like today she hoped that every day could be her birthday.