28

Maddie stood at her locker two mornings later beside Zach laughing, she felt slightly lighter since she dropped the tapes off to Clay but when she seen the stressed boy, the few times she did see him in a day, she felt worse than before, life she ...

Maddie stood at her locker two mornings later beside Zach laughing, she felt slightly lighter since she dropped the tapes off to Clay but when she seen the stressed boy, the few times she did see him in a day, she felt worse than before, life she had done some horrible unforgivable act that she needed to keep seceret. This time it wasn't Clay that gave Maddie a worried feeling in her stomach but it was Tony the tan boy who stood at his locker the same he normally did but this time with him staring at her she shook her head and moved from the locker a little bit. "Zach, I'll you after first okay? I'm gonna go." There was about to be a question from Zach but she just nodded her head over to Tony, Zach knew about her bond with him and was just happy she was trying to build it back up because he wanted to know she was never alone.
She left Justin quickly and went to Tony ready to start a conversation though she was given no time when Clay made his way through the hall, his chest was heaving and his eyes held so much pain that it hurt Maddie. Clay was moving his hands quickly to work the combination lock to open his locker and once it was open it was only a matter of seconds that Clay looked over to the pair, he held a look his betrayal and shook his head as he left the locker to get away from Tony though Maddie felt that the hatred he was placing right now should have been at her. "That's it. I have to tell him." Maddie said quickly getting ready to run to the boy but Tony pulled her back making sure not to hurt the easily bruised girl. "No. He has to go through this the way everyone else did. Just the way you did."
"But Tony he-"
"He loved her. I know that, I worked just as hard as you and Jeff to get those two together, but this is something he has to do on his own. Okay?" Maddie couldn't hide her disappointment as she walked away to her class.

Maddie was now in the gym practicing and warming up for the pep rally that was going to be starting soon, Maddie stood alone since she didn't want to be with Jessica, Justin was nowhere to be found, and she just didn't even want to be near Sherri. "Mads I think we should-" Jessicas quick voice cut out when another voice broke. "Is Justin here? Justin Foley? We got this assignment and-" His statement was cut out by the coach and Maddies eyes stayed on Clay. "Jess? Jess, he wants J. He wants-" Her voice was getting higher pitched by now and her chest was tightening. Jessica knew the paniced look on Maddies face and could hear it because she almost never called Justin J anymore. Sadly Jessica couldn't do anything but sit there and rub her friends back and try not to make eye contact with the boy that was causing her lighter skinned friend so much anxiety.

"Where the hell is Justin?" Jessica asked through her tight lips as she walked into a class that was not her own. "I-I don't know Jess." Maddie said looking down, she felt uncomfortable with how upset Jessica was at this moment, and to be even clearer she didn't even understand why Jess and him were partners. "He'll probably be here, just skipping first. You know how he is." Zach said and Marcus nodded in agreement while deflecting the harsh comments from Jessica. "Did he ride with you?" Jessica asked harshly to Maddie. "Jess, if he rode with us I would have made him go to practice." Maddie said confused because the girl knew the answer since the practice was not even twenty minutes ago. "Miss Davis. Don't you have a class to get to?" The teacher asks making Jessica turn. "Tell him I need to talk to him, and don't stick your nose in it." Jessica said upset towards Maddie and she scrunched her face in return. It was less than an hour ago that Jessica was comforting her yet she was already upset with her? "Whatchua listening to Clay?" Jessica asked with a little attitude and Maddie sunk into her seat. Clay looked completely terrified by the acknowledgement and couldn't say anything. And with a scoff Jessica left leaving Clay and Maddie both confused and looking defeated.