In Over My Head

"So, Spencer," I pause as I scoot my chair closer to the table. Kyla is sitting next to me with a knowing smile. I shake my head and continue. "Can you tell me exactly what happened?"

She takes a deep breath and starts. "Well, I was taking a nap while Aiden... my husband." She clarifies for my sake. "Was at work. I woke up around 4:45pm and came down stairs for a glass of water and found him laying on the floor with blood all around him." She finishes and looks at me.

"Did you check to see if he was conscious?" I ask and she nods.

"I called his name a few times and I bent down to check if he was breathing and I didn't hear anything so I ran to the kitchen phone and dialed 911." She says and I realize that Madison isn't here with me as she normally would be to take notes so I grab my blackberry from my pocket and type everything she's told me so far.

"What happened after that?" I ask and she sighs.

"The paramedics came and took him away." Is all she tells me. Yeah, this isn't gonna work.

"I'm gonna need a little more detail, Spencer." I tell her and she looks away. "Look," I start, placing my blackberry down on the table. "I'm trying to help you. But I can't do that if you won't tell me your side of the story." I try to stress to her but she continues to look away.

"I don't have money to pay you." She tells me softly.

"I know." She finally brings her gaze back to me. "Let's just say, I'm in a good mood today." I shrug and smile. "Plus your friend here," I thumb in Kyla's direction. "...did a great job to convince me that you're worth it."

"She can be pretty convincing." Spencer says with a smile. "I should probably start over." She says after a moment.

"I'm all ears." I tell her with a smile and she starts telling me the story over from the beginning.

-

"Hi Ashley. Haven't seen you in a couple of weeks, what can I do for you?" Shelby smiles widely at me from behind her desk.

"Well," I start, turning on my Ashley charm. "I was wondering if you could do me a favor?" I smile brightly at her.

"What kind of favor?" She asks, blowing a bubble with her gum and popping it as she twirls a lock of blonde hair with her index finger.

"Whatever you have in mind." I say with a smirk then wink. She giggles.

"Is there something I can physically do for you?" She asks, leaning forward over the desk.

"As a matter of fact, there is." I tell her softly, our faces merely inches apart.

She smiles before saying, "Anything you want, it's yours."

"Is that right?" I continue to smirk.

"Mhm." She says and nods her head.

"Well, I was wondering if you could make me a copy of the Dennison murder case files?"

She shakes her head. "The DA gave us strict orders to not release the files until after the arraignment."

"But you promised me anything I wanted, Shelby." I point out in raspy voice that causes her to giggle again.

"I did, didn't I?" She asks as she continues to giggle.

"Sure did." I tell her and she nods.

"Okay." She says and leans closer to me, our lips only a few inches apart. "But you can't tell anyone I did this for you. I could get in so much trouble." She whispers to me, stretching the word so.