Chapter Six

PUBLISHED: JUNE 12TH 2019, WORD COUNT: 2,170 | CHAPTER SONG: TIMELESS BY REECE MASTIN

(Adrian.)

SHE SLEPT SOUNDLY under the cover, stirring only when she subconsciously decided to role onto her back, her hand rested beside her head as she slept. The moonlight shone in from the open French doors, highlighting her beauty with it's light. I could stare at her forever. Allison moved again, the covers slipping off of her. I reached for the cover to put them back on her, with her being human she'd feel the slight night breeze and probably wake up.

I could feel a change in seasons coming, it wasn't too far off and winter would be here soon. Vampires like to refer to winter as 'The Season of the Turning'. It got that name because my great, great, great, great grandfather - the first vampire to rule over both the vampire and the human world - had turned his human beloved into a vampire during the winter 1157, she was the first Queen of Caledonia. It would also be the month that Allison and I would be crowned King and Queen of Caledonia.

My mother and father, after a 116 years of ruling as King and Queen, were finally stepping down so Allison and I could rule together. And this was all happening in one; a coronation wedding and then the crowning of the new Reign. But it was Allison I was worried about, she'd only just got used to being around vampires of the first class. I wasn't doubting her ability to slide right in and take the position with dignity and ease. I feared that she wasn't ready for responsibilities that the title of Queen entailed. But then again, Allison had successfully taken on her new found title of Princess. But was she ready to become Queen so soon after accepting the Princess title?

Sighing as softly as I could, I stood to my feet and went to lay beside Allison. I would at least try to get some sleep now and find a way to break this news to Allison in the morning.

**************

My footsteps echoed across the lobby as I walked towards the dining hall for breakfast. I'd woken this morning to find that Allison wasn't beside me and had figured that she must've already gotten dressed for the day and had gone down for breakfast herself. With my hearing, I could hear Allison's laughter and had come to the conclusion that I had been right.

Entering the dining hall, I spot Allison sitting at the table eating a bowl of strawberries. I had come to realize that Allison loved her fruit, she was always eating an apple or blueberries or whatever she managed to find. I sat down beside her and was immediately given a bowl of strawberries for myself to enjoy. From the corner of my eye, I saw Allison pick up her tea cup. She also loved her tea.

In the month that she had been at the palace, Allison had gone from a skinny abused girl to woman of healthy weight. Although she still had, on rare occasions, nightmares from way back when her father had 'cared' for her she was doing a lot better. Everyone could see, even me, and we were all so very proud of her. Me more so than everyone else, I would always be proud of her.

Stabbing a fork into a strawberry, I put into my mouth and chewed. I listened in on the conversation going on at the table. They were discussing Allison's first official solo royal engagement, and by the looks of things, my mother seemed to be very proud of her. Silently, I continued to listen to their conversation as I ate my bow of sliced strawberries. Allison was telling us how this one child, I think her name was Grace, had been so shy to play with the other children but after Allison had asked to be her friend she seemed to change and had gone off to happily play with the other children.  I think that by visiting this shelter for abused children has really helped Allison find closure of her own. I think that with her first official royal engagement having been this facility has helped Allison realize that there are other's out there in the same unloving environment as she had been in and that there was people out there who cared for people like those little children. That, I think, has really opened her eyes to the bigger picture. I, for sure, know that it's opened my eyes to how evil parents really treat their children.