Chapter 15

James puts down his controller and looks at me. "Ken, yes I could date you. But why not look for someone your own age? Seriously, 19 years. You're still a kid!"

What the fuck? He thinks I'm still a boy! I become hot and put my controller down and look him in the eyes. I'm going to end this shit about being too young right now.

"Hey, James. I don't think you're old. Stop thinking I'm too young. I passed 18 long ago, and even sailed past 21. I'm an adult, not a kid or a boy. I'm a man. I can make my own decisions."

James looks down at his controller in his hands.

"So, what if you were born a little bit before me? I hate it when people think I'm a kid. Seriously, I think you being older makes you that much more interesting than the shallow guys I go to school with, or that I meet at that stupid bar every week that just like to play mind games. I may be young still and don't have all of the life experience you have, but I can make up for it in other ways."

He looks up at me. I'm still a bit annoyed after saying all that but it felt good to get it off my chest.

"Besides, known ya since Friday night. It's not like I'm asking to marry you. I just wanna hang out, play video games, see and do stuff. Go out with you and Marla and Josie on the weekend. Just see where it goes."

He puts on some strange smile and says, "Bet your parents will have a heart attack when they find out."

They would if I don't do it right. That, I have no doubt of. I guess I might as well give up on the dream that Matt and I would come out to my parents.

"Well, I have no immediate plans to come out to them. My love life is none of their business. But if it ever comes to it, I will tell them without regret. But I would prefer to do it when I have a love life, that is."

He smiles after that last comment I made. Does this mean yes or no? Doesn't he see that I'm that opportunity? Won't he at least give me a chance?

"I should warn you. I've never actually seriously dated a guy before."

I stop to think for a moment. Matt and I were together for a long time. It was a long-standing friendship that became love and then sexual. It just all sort of happened. We never went through the dating process, getting to know each other, and all that. So, I guess he doesn't count.

A grin comes over my face as I say, "Me neither. Guess age doesn't matter. We'll both be doing this for the first time."

He shakes his head at me. "You're incredible."