Chapter 28

•Riot•

Most people are afraid of death and usually try their best to avoid even discussions of it unless they're forced. I'm the opposite, I'm absolutely enamored by it. I'm a little obsessed with seeing how far you can push someone until they take their last breath. I become enthralled when testing exactly how much pain a person can endure before it's too much. Everyone's tolerance is different, some can handle more than you could ever even begin to imagine.

Rafael always told me I was an asset to him but I think that's just because I'm good at knowing how much punishment I should give them when we want information so they don't die too quickly, a heavy hand can easily kill a lead. I can also turn it on and off without worry of me going on an uncontrollable rampage.

I'm ruthless and I'll fully admit it. I've been called a psychopath by many and I tend to be slightly manipulative when I want things to go a certain way but damn am I successful at it. Should I be ashamed and want to change? Possibly. Am I going to? Not likely. I've taken many lives and I hold zero guilt for them. I don't even think of them, don't know their names or a body count. I like being feared, pressing my fingers against a pulse and feeling it race beneath my touch, watching someone tremble in my presence. I revel in it. I need it.

My phone rings and I roll my eyes when I see it's my brother. I can guarantee he hasn't even boarded the jet yet and he's already checking on his little pet.

"Ciao fratello." I answer the call with a smirk. "Miss me already?" I ask while pulling up the live feed at his house.

(Ciao fratello: hello brother)

"You know why I called." He snips, not bothering with a greeting.

"She's eating at the table with her friend." I reply as I zoom in on the screen. "Looks like fruit and a waffle." I flick through the different cameras around the house. "Matteo is in the living room and the perimeter of the house is clear, not even a bug in the driveway."

"Thank you for that unnecessary, overly detailed description." He mutters dryly as if my words don't make him relax a little, but I know they do.

"I try my best." I chuckle lightly. "You have nothing to worry about I'm across the street in my office and as soon as I'm done I'll go to your house and keep your bed warm. Should I expect company or are you still dying of anticipation?"

He gazes at Nolani like he wants to consume her in one bite.

"You touch her and you're dead."

I close the live feed out and grin, "Don't threaten me with a good time. You know how much I love a juicy dare."

"I mean it, Lorenzo." He states in a serious tone and I stiffen at my name.

"Like I would." I snap, my good mood quickly extinguished. "She's pregnant for fucks sake, got your ring on her finger and living in your house. She's got your head in such a fog you're weakened by it. If you aren't careful, fratello, it'll be the cause of your demise."

"We're about to take off. I'll call as soon as I land, do not let anything happen to her." He ends the call before I can even muster a reply.

I love women. They're beautiful, smart, cunning, more than just their appearances but they can make you vulnerable when you get too close. They can easily get you killed and in a world where we're constantly playing games with death getting in that deep with anyone is something we should try to avoid. My brother is stumbling down a dangerous path and he refuses to listen to reason.