Ch.23: Heartbreak and the Truth

Chapter 23: Heartbreak and the Truth

Third POV

Kakashi ninja jumped through the dense forest with Pakkun padding by his side. The thunderstorm had gotten worse portraying the mood of Konoha clearly. Kakashi came to the Valley of the End, and noticed Naruto lying on the ground.

“Am I too late?” he muttered.

“Naruto!” Pakkun exclaimed as he padded over towards the young boy. He sniffed the headband that was on the ground, “It’s Sasuke’s.” he informed Kakashi.

Kakashi crouched down besides Naruto and solemnly stared at his face. How could I let a student of mine escape… it’s all my fault. He heard a groan, and snapped his head towards another figure.

“Naomi,” he gasped and quickly stood up. Flashing down besides her he shook her body. “Naomi! Can you hear me?”

But she didn’t reply. Her eyes were open, she was breathing, but all she did was stare at the lightning illuminated sky. The piercing noise of the wind swept through her ears, encasing her body in what felt like claustrophobia. She knew Kakashi was there, but she couldn’t reply; it was as if her mind was refusing to initiate a talk at all.

Kakashi stared at his other student. For him, she looked dead. Pale, emotionless, and all of the light in her eyes was gone. But at that moment, he knew he had to get her and Naruto to the hospital. Grabbing onto her arm, Kakashi hauled Naomi up bridle style and quickly made a shadow clone to grab Naruto.

“Let’s go Pakkun. We must hurry.” Kakashi quietly commanded his ninken. After they left, they didn’t notice a figure with a plant like encasing watching them from afar.

Time Skip to next day

The birds tweeted outside under the morning sun, flowers now closing up their petals, getting ready for the fall. The beautiful tri colored leaves falling from trees onto the ground, preparing for the cold season to come.

Naruto sat on his hospital bed with a white bandage around his forehead. His once gem like eyes, now dull, gazed at Sasuke’s scratched headband. His stare then went to Naomi’s figure on the bed next to his. She was still sleeping deeply with an oxygen mask covering her face.

“Mi-chan…” he sadly muttered. He slowly got up from his bed and laid Sasuke’s headband next to Naomi’s hands. The door slid open, catching the attention of Naruto.

“So you’re finally awake I see…”

“Shikamaru!” Naruto slightly grinned. “You’re okay!”

“Yeah…” Shikamaru rubbed the back of his neck. The atmosphere got quiet before he asked again. “So Sasuke’s…”

“Mhm.” Naruto nodded “He’s gone.” He muttered as he clenched his fists. The door once again slid open, and stepped in Tsunade and Sakura.

“Doing okay, Naruto? I’m surprised you’re awake at all.” Tsunade smiled as she crossed her hands across her chest. “Now all we have to do is wait for Naomi to wake up. Know that brat well, I know that she’ll take her sweet time…” A tick mark formed on Tsunade’s head.

“How do you know her granny?” Naruto asked, the same thought crossing Shikamaru’s and Sakura’s thoughts.

“Hm? Oh, well she’s my grand goddaughter… if that makes sense.” Tsunade shrugged. “She’s such a troublesome brat, but that’s what makes her special. She really is a wonderful person…” Tsunade fondly stared at Naomi, as her features softened.

A groan escaped from Naomi as her eyes slowly blinked open. The hazy colors all came together and she first saw her baa-chan staring at her with a smile.