Chapter 1: Welcome to Your New Life (4/4)

I took the elevator to my room that's located on the 8th floor. It's pretty high, I thought to myself. From what I read, the dorms itself are as high enough to reach the Royal District and low enough to the Palace District. Both the uppermost and the lowermost floors has such a huge sum of rent for whoever lives there. But that does not stop it for being empty. In fact, both are full. I would want to try living inside a dorm room that expensive. But to be honest, I only need a place I could sleep and relax in. Although come to think of it, it's honestly weird that my room was actually available. Ruika was the one who arranged these kinds of matters for me, so I had no idea of why did I manage to get the normal and cheap ones. When in actuality, these types of rooms are the commonly booked ones. She did say that my room was special. She never told me why though.

I then arrive in front of my room. My new room. I felt some sort of relief looking at the door. This is my new life. This is where I'm going to live now. I put the box I was carrying on to the ground and insert the keys into the lock of my new room. I twist my hands and unlock it. Why am I feeling so excited about this though? A huge smile had surfaced on my face before I had even realized as I open the door to my new room.

But then, my smile suddenly vanished as I see the current state of my room with the assistance of the moonlight coming through the window. This is wrong. Why is it so dark? Why does it look so messy? What is happening? After a while I realized that there is a figure standing in the middle of my room. The figure was half the length of my body. It might be a child. Immediately my instincts reacted to it with slight fear. A ghost? A child-thief? What is it? It's still standing there.

In my state of panic and confusion, I realized the light switch was right to my left near the doorstep. I reached for it and turned on the lights. Suddenly, the figure was gone. I sighed, relieved but also still quite confused of what happened. Is this what she meant about my room being special? And here I thought I could catch a break after everything today. I then carry my box inside my now messy room. There are papers everywhere. Some even had writings on it saying "Welcome!" and "Enjoy your stay!". But for some reason, I feel the eeriness of the situation. Without thinking about it too much, I left the mess on the ground and went to bed. I'll just deal with this mess later. I've had too much for one day.

*****

I woke up feeling exhausted and a little upset. I haven't even got the time to make myself breakfast. My room had everything I need. A kitchen, a bath, a comfy sofa and even a television. Everything except food. I forgot to buy ingredients for myself. There were also no convenience stores nearby. If I were to find one, I would need to leave academy grounds which would take a time. I tried to go to the academy's cafeteria. I was hoping to be able to buy something. But I got nothing. All their breakfast menus are all sold out. I was too late. I should've been faster. Now, I'm sitting on a chair at the great hall while also holding my stomach hoping to keep it from growling.

The opening ceremony is about to begin. I look at my surroundings to see the situation. The great hall is almost full. Some students haven't arrived yet, including her. From a far, I saw someone I know walking with a fast pace. It seems that he's trying to get here. There's a lot of crowd. He's practically moving against the current to get to my position. Upon closer inspection I noticed that it was actually Jack Frost. Jack then managed to shove a good portion of people to get to me. He then sits on the chair right next to me that was conveniently empty.

"The Hall's pretty crowded and noisy now. I used to like it when it's fine and not littered with bodies all over the place. It wasn't like this before the Support-Research course opened. Now it's practically a sea of men." He said.
I shouldn't be, but I felt a little provoked. Maybe it's because I'm a little upset this morning. "I'm sorry, must be hard on you to have your peace disturbed by us actually normal students." I replied to him.
"That's not what I meant." Jack spluttered. "I was just joking. I didn't know that you're that sensitive."
"I'm not. I just think that you're not good at it." I said while also readjusting my sitting position.
"Dude, what's wrong with you?"
"I'm just a little upset and hungry that's all. Also, seeing you also made me a little uncertain about you. Are you really a hero after what I saw yesterday? I thought you and Alice were friends." I replied.
"Look, it's not what it looks like." Jack tries to explain to me.
"You were fighting her until she practically exploded." I said to him. "I did seem that you regret what you did though."
"Of course, Because I didn't mean it to happen! I have my reasons so will you just lis-."
"But look..." I then look at him with uncertainty. "I used to like you as a hero, but after yesterday, I don't know how to perceive you. Are you a hero? An enemy? A villain in the making?"
"I told you, I'm go-."
"You were supposed to be one of the heroes I idolized the most! I even wrote you in my compendium." I then show him my compendium that has been sitting on my lap. "This book is full of everything from analysis, history and skills of what I have been searching and analysing for years. I even wrote weaknesses, relationship histories and even their favourite colours!"
Jack was in awe. "Does that mean you know that I can't swim?"
"Yes." I nodded in reply.
"So, you're basically... a high-class stalker?" He replied while also shaking his head in disbelief.
"No, I'm the one who is going to fill every single hero inside this book and record it for generations to see. I might be the first 'Quirk Historian." I stated with excitement while also feeling upset.

My ambition other than learning quirks is to record every single hero's quirk in the history of mankind. Every single battle, every single conflict, every single event is one step closer to my goal. I strive to learn about this world. From the start, people have perceived me as a "Quirk-nerd" and a very big hero fan. Collecting hero stuff, newspaper articles with heroic deeds on the front page, action figures, trading cards, media, all that stuff. But even so, these stuffs also helped me write and draw more into my book. My compendium full of quirks.

"Well... I guess that's another reason for me to be happy that you're not my partner." Jack sighed.
A thought crossed into my mind thereafter. "Before you tell me anything, Can I ask you why you were so trying to get me as your partner?" I asked him about yesterday's event.
"I will tell you. Along with my reasons of why yesterday happened. I do need to clear up some of my actions to you since now you're her partner." He said. "I was very fond of your skills. The feeling of having a partner who could analyse everything suits my style of play."
"Why?"
"Last year, every single one of us were sent to a special one-week test for us heroes to hone our skills. It happened 3 days after our entrance ceremony.my first year in this academy. The goal was to benchmark and gauge every single student and to see their quirk specialties." He then clenches his fist. "I received the defensive specialty badge. I was envious of many who received the offensive one. But I kept going with it and I finally realized how important I am to the team."
"So that's why you need me. So, you could easily counter your enemies as they attack you. And since each person's quirks differ from one another I can also give you tips on how to fight them."
"Bingo... That's it. You're basically a gold mine." Jack clapped his hand once and pointed at me. "Every hero in the hero course knows you."
"No way." I was surprised. "I never thought people would already know me."
"Hahaha... well anyway that's the first reason. The second is umm..."
"Is it because of Alice?"
"Somewhat..." He then looks to the entrance, seemingly searching for her and then looked down to the ground full of concern. "She is... Special."
"Why?" I asked him. He did not respond. "Are you talking about her being ill?"
Jack was surprised with my question. "Wait, how did you know that?" He replied in shock.
"The bubble priestess told me everything." I explained with a brief statement.
"I see..." Jack looks at me, looking a little relieved. "You must've taken her to the dorms after she fainted. Thank you..." He seemed grateful.
"I mean it is the right thing to do. If only you weren't the one fighting her and making her faint." But I gave him a cheeky response.
"I told you, I have my reasons. I'm going to explain it no-."
"Jack Frost... Hero Course Class-A. Please return to your seat..." Someone behind him touched his shoulder as he spoke.
"O-okay..." He said as he looked behind. He then stood up while shivering. "I guess I'll see you later then. I will tell you all about this I promise..."

For some reason I also felt a shiver down my spine. I then also look behind me. After that I jumped, shocked of what I see. A monster? A disfigured man? Its face was like a scrambled egg. But the whole skin is made of Ink. It does not drip though but I think it did when the thing was touching Jack's shoulder. The mouth was above his eyes while the nose was non-existent. But its figure was like a child's. Small and nimble. Come to think of it, this thing might be similar to the figure inside my dorm room. Maybe it's just a coincidence... Right? I hope it is...

I shouldn't have gotten upset at him or asked him about why he tried to choose me first as his partner, but rather just force him to go straight to the point in what he's about to say. I should also refrain from talking about the compendium over-excitingly in the future because I tend to lose my self-control. But what's done is done. I can still meet him whenever. He did say that he's going to tell me everything when we meet. I really need to know. It concerns me if he's starting to rebel from the hero's life or If he's harming Alice, who is now my partner in crime. Though he did seem that he regretted what he did and he did say he had his reasons just as I assumed.

The bells then ring as the last student entered the room. It was Alice. From where I sit, I looked at her as she walked in. She then glanced at me and smiled as she was going to sit with her fellow classmates. As returned a smile as well. She then proceeds to talk with Viala who was sitting next to her. After yesterday, I can't stop thinking about her health. I may need to talk to her about it sometime. Her health worries me and as her partner, I need to be the one who helps her. Still, I need to grow closer to her since we just met with each other yesterday. Even though both of us has been researching about one another.

I then returned my gaze onto the front. This is my life now. My new life starts here. A new one full of wonders and quirks. Full of weirdness and awesomeness. There are some mysteries to solve and somethings to do. Also, becoming a partner to one of the best heroes in history of the world. But most importantly, it's one more way to fill my compendium...