chapter nine - discussions

The ache in my back is a dull reminder of my position but I keep my eyes shut regardless

The ache in my back is a dull reminder of my position but I keep my eyes shut regardless. The faint voices of nurses and doctors can be heard outside as they go about saving lives for over twelve hours without any signs of stopping. Alex's faint breathing is obvious and I let a smile tug at my lips as I embrace our serenity.

My eyes stay firmly shut as I slowly wash in and out of sleep, unable to properly fall into a deep, blissful sleep with the different surroundings I'm in. A sudden burst of white light shines through my eye-lids and I pray that whoever has walked in will leave. But the light stays persistent and I open my eyes to see two figures in the door frame.

Squinting, my half-conscious brain suddenly becomes alert as my eyes focus and I come to realise that the two figures are actually Alex's parents. Realizing they've just caught me sleeping beside their daughter's hospital bed with her hand clasped in mine, a panic wave shoots through me.

I quickly glance to my side to see Alex still in a deep sleep, as usual, and I breathe out a breath of relief that at least she hasn't been interrupted - she needs her rest. Looking back to her parents, Alex's Mom tilts her head to motion me outside.

Standing up on shaky legs, I slowly extract my hand from Alex's and force myself to not kiss her forehead before I leave because doing that in front of her parents right now would probably not be a good move.

My heart thumps against my chest as I walk out into the blinding light of the waiting room once again. The chairs are arranged into a square, facing outwards, with some ugly purple pillows on them but I take a seat regardless, not trusting myself to stay upright due to nerves making their way through me right now.

Owing to the fact that they've just caught me sleeping beside her and that I'm pretty sure they've been suspicious for a while, I know it's time to tell Alex's parents about us.

But the thought is still so terrifying. I mean, what are they going to say? Despite our not-so-ordinary relationship, meeting and telling the parents is a big deal. Plus, having to do it alone makes me scared for my life - but I know I have to do this. Both of them may kill me, but it'll be worth it.

Right?

Sitting down on a spare bench across from me, I feel as though I'm about to go into a audition with Alex's parents. Time to impress them. The only problem is, I can't memories the lines, or get a feel for the character or look up facts about the setting. I've got nothing but the truth to rely on here.

"I'm guessing you guys are a bit confused." I start off, my voice rough as my knee bobs up and down below me.

"That's a bit of an understatement." Alex's Mom, Grace, says.

"Are you in a relationship with Alex?" Alex's dad, Mike, asks straight away.

Throwing all caution to the wind, I nod as I say, "Yes we are, Sir. We have been for six and a half months."