Horunka Woods, Again

3rd Person POV

[Maverick and Koharu had just finished their errand]

Maverick: I swear. We're too nice of people. We need to learn to say no sometimes. I feel like we're everyone's personal slave hand.

Koharu: It's not that bad. You get to hang out with me.

Maverick: That was a bold thing to say.

[Koharu blushes and runs in embarrasement]

Maverick: She's too easy. Better head back.

[Maverick and Koharu return to Diavel]

Diavel: Good work! Thanks to everyone's help, we've got what we need. We're in top shape for the battle.

Koharu: Umm...Diavel,

Diavel: Hey, Koharu, sorry to ask this of you at a time like this but do you think I can ask for another favor?

Maverick: (Thoughts) I swear. I would log out if I could.

Koharu: (Thoughts) Spending time with Maverick is great but I really want to tell Diavel]

Diavel: Would you mind bringing those to everyone at the town's inn?

Koharu: Sure. Maverick and I can handle that.

Diavel: No, I'd like Maverick to stay here with me. I have something I want to discuss about tomorrow.

Koharu: Oh all right. See you later than, Maverick!

[Koharu walks away]

Diavel: Now, Maverick, there's something I want to ask of you. You were a beta tester weren't you?

Maverick: (Thoughts) This guy doesn't miss a beat does he? (Out loud) I was indeed.

Diavel: You really were then. Well, you should probably keep that between us. People aren't fond of testers here. That's why I wanted to tell you. I was a beta tester too. I used a different name, a different avatar, played a different way, but I've been beyond Floor 2.

Maverick: Same.

Diavel: Not surprised. Kibaou was absolutely right. As soon as things took a bad turn, I...I should have been there for everyone.

Maverick: You and me both.

Diavel: I knew how to fight the monsters here. I knew how to make money fast. But I can't save all 10,000 players. While I'm away saving one somewhere, another would die somewhere else. And when they do, could I bear that responsibility? The mere thought of it kept me silent all this time. I've been brushing it off with my pals who don't know telling them I've just got a knack for this stuff. All I can do is slyly help them level.

Maverick: Each of us can only do so much.

Diavel: I'm glad to hear that from you. Still, though, I haven't been straight with everyone. And now here I am. The one who didn't help...Now I'm hiding the truth from all the players in this world with us. But I like to think that I'm at least doing what is necessary here. Taking charge as leader, gathering all the strong players who were soloing, and moving on until we hit Floor 100.

Maverick: (Thoughts) Does everyone here get monologues but me?

Diavel: I'm here to set everyone free. That's my role in this world now. It's the only thing I can do.

Maverick: (Thoughts) I'm going to regret asking this. (Out loud) What will you do when it's all over?

Diavel: Hmm. You mean after Floor 100? It seems so far off I never gave it much thought.

Maverick: (Thoughts) Huh. Never mind.

Diavel: But I guess...

Maverick: (Thoughts) Damnit!

Diavel: Just so you know, I've been calling myself a knight but my name, Diavel, actually comes from the Italian word for devil.

Maverick: (Thoughts) Haha!

Diavel: I spent ton of time crafting an avatar to match that name too. With a face meaner than even Agil's. That was the real me I had planned for SAO. Once this is all finished with I think I'll make a character worthy of the name Diavel and stir up trouble.

Maverick: (Thoughts) I don't want to know you anymore. (Out loud) And I'll be the one to take you down.

Diavel: Hah! I like the sound of that! I'll think of it as my reward for beating this. Tomorrow I'm back to my blue-haired knight again, though. Follow me and Floor 100 is ours! Or something like that, eh? Anyway, that's all. Thanks for hearing me out.

[Koharu returns]

Koharu: Diavel! I finished making the rounds. Everyone seems primed for battle.

Diavel: Sorry for making you do the footwork.

Maverick: (Thoughts): You better be.

Diavel: We're just finishing with our little chat here. I'll get you your reward so just rest up and get yourselves ready. I'll see you tomorrow.

[Diavel walks away]

Koharu: You guys had a good talk, then? What did he have to say?

Maverick: I'll tell you someday.

Koharu: So it's a secret for now, then? All right I guess. But don't forget to fill me in sometime.

Maverick: I'm sure you won't let me forget.