Homewrecker

My earliest memory is playing quietly in the Adamaris castle garden. My mother was working as a kitchen maid and would often bring me with her to work. My father was rumored to be a visiting lesser lord, though I never met him and my mother never spoke of him. On particularly busy days I would play in the garden and wait for the work day to end. One day I met the young Lord Draco.

I thought he was like a fairy tale prince. He had deep blue eyes with flecks of red that made them look indigo in the sun. His silver hair made him look striking. And he was a year older than me.

"Wanna play?" He asked with a grin.

It was my first time playing with the young Lord and not my last. We played together everyday, climbing trees, stealing tarts, chasing waves. Until he went away to the Royal magic academy.While I had hoped to attend the magic academy, my own magic was too weak to be accepted. I could barely light a candle, though my charm abilities were a bit advanced for someone of my level. Soon I was helping my mother in the kitchens. I was wearing the house uniform and cleaning up after the Lord and Lady of the house.

When the "young master" did return from his studies, there was a wall around him. He was accompanied by other young lords and royalty. Young ladies would flock to his mother's and sister's tea parties to catch a glimpse of him.

Sometimes he would smile at me, and ask how I was. He asked about my mother and complimented me. Draco was still the same kind boy, only now he had little time for games or me. I knew we could no longer play together as we did when we were children. But I truly believed that we would always be friends. That was enough for me, for a time.

One day his older sister, the Lady Alina, arrived home from her travels with a swollen belly, she was pregnant and heartbroken. I had not known her well. Alina was a few years older than Draco and had gone to the royal academy before we started playing together.

I treated Alina during her stay. The Lord and Lady of the house had been disappointed in their daughters shame, but did not scold her lest her condition take a turn for the worse.

I was in the room with her when she gave birth, Alina was already weak from her depression. After Orion was born she refused to hold or feed him. She just stared vacantly out the window.

A week after Orion was born, Lady Alina went missing, we found her bed dress by the beach. No body ever washed ashore but everyone was sure she had died. Draco stopped smiling after that.

His parents left afterwards, unable to live in the same home where their daughter died.

Draco cared for Orion and entrusted me with him anytime he visited the Capitol.

"You've always been good with children." He said awkwardly handing me Orion.

I felt like we were a family. I had Draco's trust and Orion sometimes called me mother, though I had to correct him. Our small broken family was happy.

I had fooled myself into believing this. Until reality came crashing through.

One day Draco arrived with another woman at his arm. The Lady Celeste was almost a princess. She was the highest born daughter of the forest lands. When she arrived she was dressed in leathers, cotton and furs, with wood jewelry and weapons at her hip. Celeste was not like any lady I had ever seen and Draco loved her.

Draco proudly introduced her as his wife. They had married in the Capitol, his parents had tentatively approved. Her mother and brother had begrudgingly agreed to the match after much discussion. I thought I had know Draco's mind and moods, but he had been in love and fighting for this match for five years. I realized then that Draco had a life separate from me. A part of him that I did not know, but his new wife did.