Chapter 4 (Episode 1-3)

Savaran leaned with casual ease against the stone wall of the corridor overlooking the castle courtyard. Two days after leaving their temporary accommodations at the inn in pursuit of the lich's book that Daria had "convinced" them to assist her with, she informed them that they had to make a small detour. One that was necessary in order for her to handle some "business".

That's how they wound up here; at Twilight Keep.

The only openings in the wall were a series of narrow slits, meant for archers to help defend the hold as a last line of defense should the main gate be breached when under siege. But by whom, Savaran had no clue. This stronghold was so far off the beaten path and so insignificant that there wasn't even a garrison stationed here. Just seven or eight guards whose only duty was to make sure Aunt Gerdie and Uncle Buon didn't get swindled in the bustling market that was now set up within the outer walls.

These balistariums were not, however, for the purpose Daria now intended to use them for. She stood there, back just far enough so that no one looking up from the outside would be able to spot her easily in the shadows. With arm back, bowstring tight, and an arrow nocked and ready on her fingertips, Savaran observed as she controlled her breathing. Exactly as he would.

"You're just going to let her do this?" Traven whined, hovering close by.

"I don't interfere with her work," Savaran replied.

"He knows better," added Daria.

"So," Savaran changed the subject, "Where's this lich at?"

"Down near Masterton," she replied, peeling her fingers ever so gently and smoothly back to allow the arrow to fly. A second later, there was a cascade of panicked screams from the patrons of the various stalls in the market. Another arrow was ready in a few heartbeats. "We still clear?"

Savaran looked both ways and saw the hallway was still empty between the two heavy doors at either end. "Still clear."

"That'snearNalhaven!" the former prince gleefully acknowledged.

"Yeah," Savaran grumbled. "Great."

Daria's second arrow flew, followed by more panicked howls from below. Then another arrow was readied. "Quit your bellyaching," she barked. Her third arrow was loosed a second later to the sounds of even more screams. "Alright you amateurs, time to go."

The bow Daria had used was quickly broken down in her skilled hands as she started walking at a hurried pace, making a beeline for the door at the furthest end of the long hallway. She had the string unhooked in seconds, then had the weapon separated at the grip. Folding the two pieces together, she wound them tightly using the string and slid the weapon up under the back of her cloak.

Savaran took a second to look at the chaos in the courtyard as they passed by another window, just like the one she had used as a murder hole. "Hope you got paid well for that," he said.

"Eight silver a head," Daria shrugged. "Below my normal rate. But I did it more as a favor."

The three companions, unwilling as they may be, were through the door and onto a set of spiraling stone steps that led downwards. At the bottom, Daria ushered them into a supply room where a cart was already packed and tarped. The large wooden double doors leading out to the courtyard were shut securely so none would see them as they hid.

She lifted the covering and was very blunt with her command, "Come on ladies, get in."

Traven immediately plugged his nose, "What is in those barrels that stinks so bad?"

"Manure," Daria smiled, "Twilight Keep's finest! Now get in-between the barrels and keep quiet. Our transportation out of here has already been arranged."