42 | Brothers

I update on Wednesdays and Fridays, but yesterday I was convinced not to wait that long.  You know who you are.  So here we go.  Chapter 42, up one day early. 

Also, if you ask me why there's a video of Pikachu dancing, I don't know.  It has nothing to do with the plot, but it's cute.

Chapter 42: Brothers

Luke dropped me off at the front of my house before driving off to basketball practice. I was still a bit tipsy from Chad's pool party.

I wandered up to my front door and started poking the garden gnomes. One of them had a creepy looking face so I turned him away to face the wall.

"Millie. You live here?"

I jumped up, picking up a garden gnome for self-defence. Who is sneaking up on me?

"Jake! You almost gave me a heart attack!"

Jake chuckled and said, "I didn't realize we were neighbors. I just saw you now from my house."

I'd totally forgotten that Jake was a Dawson... and therefore my neighbor. 

"You should come over some time," he offered, "Maybe for dinner. Are you free tonight?"

Tonight is...  soon.

I didn't want to say much. I was tipsy, and I didn't want to open my mouth and make a fool of myself. It didn't matter how I behaved around Luke. He's seen my crazy. 

But Jake. Handsome, nice Jake. I wanted to be on my best behavior around him.

"Tonight?" I repeated.

"Yeah," he said, tilting his head as he picked up on my slurred words, "Maybe after you take a shower?"

"Yes, yes, a nap," I nodded, trying to maintain composure as I retreated to my front door. I was dreaming of a nap.

"And maybe without the garden gnome?"

"Oh right, yes, right," I nodded and put it down, almost tripping over another one in the process, "Stay there, gnomey."

Jake watched me with an amused expression on his face. He wasn't leaving, partly out of entertainment and partly out of concern. He. wanted to make sure I got in ok.

"And Millie?"

"Yes, Jake?"

"Was that my brother you were with?"

Oh. 

Yes.

**

I slept two hours and woke up hungry. The buzz from Austin's lemonade had waned, and I went down somberly to the kitchen. No one was home yet. I opened the cabinet, searching for boxed mac'n'cheese.

I know Jake had invited me to his place but (1) I'm sure he's forgotten and (2) I'm hungry now.

The doorbell rang.

He hadn't forgotten. Jake had come to pick me up. He must have known I wouldn't appear without his insistence. With great sadness, I left the mac'n'cheese box on the counter and Jake escorted me across the street to his home. 

"It's date night tonight," he explained as I stepped into their home.

I froze. Date night?! Is this a-

"For my parents," he hastily corrected himself, "Sorry, not for us. My father and step-mother are at a restaurant tonight."

I relaxed at that. This was the first time I've ever stepped foot in the Dawson home. Luke had never invited me and neither had any of his family members. I've known them my whole life and they never once extended an invitation. Now Jake was here for one month and he invited me for dinner.