Chapter 6

After they had left Andromache and her smashed car, Rex knew they had to get out of the country.  And fast. Andromache was still alive and could still cause trouble for them, although maybe she wouldn't try something so public again. Rex directed Calliope to the harbor, but first a stop off at an old friend's house to deposit one piece of history and ask about another. If there was one person he knew he could trust in Athens, it was Dimitri Constantin.

Dimitri and Rex had known each other for over twenty years. He had been the supervisor of Rex's first dig in Greece and even then had seen something special in the scrawny kid with a head for history and planning, but a knack for trouble. Dimitri had even bailed him out when Rex and the Greek authorities had a misfortunate understanding about the provenance of some funerary items.

After working all over the Greek isles, Dimitri had retired to Athens and now spent his leisure time taking wealthy tourists on guided tours of ancient ruins and temples. Luckily, he was also a night owl and only mildly surprised when Rex showed up at his villa in the middle of the night with two arguing brothers, a beautiful woman, and a semi-wrecked car. He simply marked his place in the copy of The Odyssey he was perusing for the hundredth time and went to greet them. Rex managed to get more of a reaction from his friend when he showed him the Mask of Agamemnon. Dimitri gladly agreed to hold onto the mask until Rex could return it to the museum and was abhorred at the thought of Andromache trying to sell it on the black market.

"She's a spoiled brat!" Dimitri said with a look of contempt on his face. "Heinrich would be spinning in his grave if he knew about her plan." He took the mask and locked it in his safe hidden behind a painting of Medusa. The Gorgon's stare was a not so subtle deterrent against snooping thieves. While Zidan was showing Calliope and Ramses the other unique pieces in the house, Rex pulled Dimitri to the side and questioned him discreetly about the parchment Calliope had shown him.

"Refresh my memory, Xenocrates was part of Plato's Academy and while there he had a student named Crantor, right?" Rex had immediately thought of Crantor when he and Calliope had examined the parchment in his room. He was relying on Dimitri's near encyclopedic knowledge of ancient Greek philosophers to still be functioning, even at this hour.

"Of course Rex, you know that," Dimitri replied. "Crantor was famous for his Commentaries, but only pieces of what was in them remain. By all accounts, he was a renowned moral philosopher who was greatly admired by his peers. Alas, none of his works were preserved in their entirety. What we know of his writings comes from others that mention and reference them. Why the questions about him though? I doubt this late night escapade has anything to do with morals or philosophy." Dimitri envied Rex's youth and sense of adventure but also preferred his feet up and a nice glass of wine while reading ancient histories.

"No," Rex confirmed, "not philosophy. I'm more interested in some of Crantor's other writings. Specifically about his travels. You wouldn't happen to have a book that could help out, would you?" Dimitri beamed and hurried off to another part of the house. When he returned he was carrying a large tome that was covered in dust. He set it before Rex and opened it to the section on Crantor.

"My complete works of all Platonic scholars rarely gets used, but it might have the answers you're looking for. Some of the passages are in Demotic Egyptian I'm afraid. Just about every Greek philosopher had to visit Egypt or write about how they would like to visit. It was like their Spring Break and Gap Year combined. How are your translation skills?"

"Rusty," Rex said, looking over the pages. "I could do it, but it would take me a decent amount of time. Time I'm afraid we don't have. I'll get Ramses to translate. He'll enjoy the challenge. Thanks Dimi, I owe you one." He clapped his old friend on the shoulder and hefted the heavy book under his arm.

Dimitri tried to get Rex and the rest of them to stay overnight, but they demured and instead settled for a few cups of strong coffee before heading to the harbor. They were able to book passage for the four of them to Cadiz on a ship that left in a few hours. It would take two days to reach their destination, but that would give them plenty of time to rest and prepare for the hunt that Rex anticipated once they arrived.

While they were waiting for their ship Rex took the opportunity to make a call. The harbor had a dingy payphone that was grimy to the touch, but still functional. Depositing his change he hoped she wouldn't be too mad with him for disturbing her sleep.

"Ugh . . . hello?" The voice on the other end was drowsy and thick with sleep.

"Ruby darling, Rex here. How are you this fine morning?" He tried to sound much more energetic than he felt.

There was a minute of silence and then the exasperated voice came back. "Is it morning? Well . . . splendid.  Bully for the sun. What do you want Rex? Or should I just ask how much the bail is?"

"Now now, nothing like that. We've recovered the mask and I've left it with Dimitri for the moment. You can tell Pendleton I was right after all. As usual." He hesitated a moment and then continued. "I wanted to let you know that I'll be gone a few days more. There's something I need to check out in Spain. Do you think you can hold down the fort without me for a little longer, Mrs. Tuesday?"

Ruby's voice lost all the sleepiness from it. "Spain? What are you doing in Spain? Should I come down? I'm coming down." Ruby Tuesday was also employed at the British Museum with Rex as the museum's Cultural Attaché. She coordinated important guests and researchers accessing the museum's collection and frequently wined and dined dignitaries of countries that had loaned specimens for exhibits. Ruby was also part of ARROW with Rex, using her connections to gain access to sensitive information on buyers and collectors around the world. Able to seamlessly transition between a cultured, sophisticated personality to a brash headstrong manner was one of her strengths. She usually assisted Rex in hunting down stolen artifacts and returning them to their rightful owners. Even now Rex could hear her shuffling to get dressed, not wanting to be left out of the action.

"Ruby, stop. You need to stay there. The Sultan of Brunei is coming to review the new Malayan exhibit and has asked for you by name. I can handle this. I just wanted to let you know so you don't worry." He heard her make an exasperated noise followed by a derisive laugh.

"What, me worry? You think too highly of yourself. Come on Fletcher, you don't get to have all the fun. Deal me in."

Rex would have liked to have her on this expedition but knew they were in a time crunch. However, maybe there was a way she could still help. "Actually, there is something. Can you look into something for me? Dr. Niko Kostas. He works at the University of Athens, or used to, and has been missing the last few weeks. Find out what you can about him, okay? Maybe look into what he's been researching and if anyone else is interested in it. I'll check in with you in a few days after I run down some more leads. Besides, it would raise too many questions if you stood up the Sultan on such short notice."

"Fine," she said, defeated. "I'll ask around, but what is it you're going to check out? And why Spain?"

Rex hesitated again before he answered. "I'll let you know in a few days, love. Until then, make an excuse for me not being there and keep the kettle on." He heard her make an unsavory reply and they hung up. Calliope had started to board the ship with Ramses and Zidan close behind. Rex hurried to catch up, leaving the sticky phone booth with relief.

As the passenger ferry pulled away from the harbor, Rex had an unmistakable feeling. One he had experienced often before. He was on the precipice of a great adventure. Ahead of him were only possibilities. And danger.