~ 56 ~

"I think the blue," said Queen Lorna as the seamstress worked feverishly to show the many fabrics that would make up Aleia's new gown

"I think the blue," said Queen Lorna as the seamstress worked feverishly to show the many fabrics that would make up Aleia's new gown. "Unless, Aleia, you prefer another color."

"No, I truly love this shiny piece," the girl replied, touching the shiny blue silk fabric. "I would love to see it in the gown, with that evergreen fabric. They remind me of the ocean, I really like them together. Is there any way to have the two meld together somehow? I don't know if this makes sense or now, but in a manner that allows the two colors to seem like they are one, but they are different at the same time."

"Oh!" exclaimed the young seamstress, clapping her hands together. "I do think I understand what you're describing. If I may have two days to pull together a design, I think I might know what you want."

"Thank you so much."

The young woman dipped in a curtsy, gathered the different fabrics and scurried from the room. Lorna smiled and pulled Aleia into a tight hug.

"I am so pleased to have you back safely," she whispered, smiling when they broke apart. "Not just for Auro's sake, but for mine as well. You've become part of our lives."

"It means so much for you to say that," Aleia replied, nodding. "I feel the same. And thank you for not letting on about my arrival. I know that could not have been easy."

"No, it was not easy, but worth it. The expression on Auro's face when he saw you was so pleasing to me."

"Of course. All you want is for Auro to be happy."

"Yes," the queen nodded, sighing as she led Aleia to the great balcony. "And he loves you dearly."

"I love him too," she replied, smiling at how she'd woken up to Auro watching her that morning. "It's very weird to think I'm engaged to him. Most people, on Earth, don't get married at eighteen or nineteen. If they do, it's because the girl got pregnant. Or the couple is just young and in love to the point they don't care. Which is cute sometimes."

The two spoke a little further until there came a gentle clearing of someone's throat. Arms wrapped around Aleia's shoulders and something soft, partially wet, touched her cheek.

"Are you quite finished?" he whispered in her ear.

"For now," she whispered back, smiling softly as she closed her eyes.

"Mother, I'm stealing her away now. We'll be in the courtyard."

Without letting her go, Auro guided Aleia through the queen's quarters, through the great halls, and then out to their favorite courtyard.

Antesro was slumbering on his side, in the warm sunlight. He opened an eye when he heard the footsteps of his mistress. But he did not move.

"What exactly were you and my mother doing?" Auro asked as the two sat on the ground, with Aleia between his legs, against his chest.

"Choosing fabrics for the gown I'll wear to your coronation," she replied.

"Oh, then that's why my father's tailor said he had to speak with my mother's seamstress. I suppose we're going to match."

"Probably, but don't worry. The colors I chose would bring out your eyes."

Auro's arms tightened around her. Aleia turned her head and kissed his cheek. They then sat in silence for several minutes. Until their friends joined them. Lumen, with Aurora under his arm, led the group of smiling companions. Aleia beamed at her stepbrothers and rose to greet them. Despite having been back for a while, she hadn't really spent much time with them.

"We will, eventually, have to at least check on her," Ronell sighed, referring to his mother. "We don't even know how long we've been gone."

He made quotation marks with his fingers.

"Probably not as long as we think," Aleia replied, shrugging. "If anyone is up for an adventure, we can just use the portal Auro and I used to get here in the first place. Auro knows where it is."

She pointed a thumb at the young man who still hadn't released his hold on her.

"Is that really how you want to spend the day?" he asked, though it sounded more like a grumble.

"You've never been the least bit curious about how time works between our two worlds?"

"Not in this very moment . . . But I will explore it if you truly want to."

Aleia smiled and turned so she could hug his waist.

"Thank you," she said, kissing his cheek. "But before we go, I would like to change."

***

"There is no way we're all going to fit in there," Ruperto said, patting Athena's head; she was in dog form.

"It's bigger on the inside," Aleia said, grinning.

"Did you just . . . really?" Ronell asked, sounding deflated.

"Don't go knocking my enjoyment. But no, not really. We'll have to squish in there."

For some reason, Glint found this statement amusing. She giggled and covered her mouth. Aleia shot her a grin.

"Follow the leader," she said, taking Auro by the hand as she marched into the closet.

As each person entered behind them, there were grunts and grumbles, teasing and laughter. And some barking from the dogs. But once they were all within the small space, Aleia told everyone to close their eyes.

"Why?" Auro asked as she turned off the closet light.

"You'll see."