~Chapter Five~ Exams

Gellert's father didn't make a sound until they were out of the castle, even then it wasn't anything for his son but a low whistle to call their ride. He couldn't look at his son, instead, he focused his gaze upwards to the four skeletal winged horses and large black carriage that had dropped out of the clouds.

Their wings broke the stillness of the air, the taut skin sounding like a set of blacksmith's bellows, scattering all manner of small objects as they attempted to land. Hooves, glossy black and well-manicured, thundered on the cobbled driveway, the carriage behind them bouncing a few times before coming to a complete halt, the carriage door in line with their master.

"In."

Gellert recoiled at his father's tone but felt some relief that one word at least had been shared between them. He didn't hesitate to obey the request. In his haste he misplaced his grip on the door handle and failed to pick his feet up high enough, instead of stepping into the carriage as he had done hundreds of times before, he fell in, almost going headfirst through the glass of the door opposite. His cheeks reddened as he dared to look through the window at the collection of faces crammed into every available east-facing castle window.

He sighed and pressed his face to the cold wood frame of the carriage. Jumping as his trunk landed heavily enough to shake the compartment violently, he gripped onto the seat for security as he heard the leather straps cinch down tight on his possessions. A sharp whistle made him swallow back his complaint, his father jumped inside and slammed the door just before the thestrals started their takeoff.

The carriage jolted as the beasts spread their wings, each beat making it surge forwards as the speed increased, rolling from side to side until at last all its wheels were airborne. A steep pitch was needed to see them gain enough altitude to pass over the surrounding mountains, setting Gellert deep in the back of his seat bracing against the force.

Only when they reached a cruising height could Gellert enjoy the view from the window. A solemn tear escaping as he realised he would never wander through these mountains freely again.

"I will tell your mother." His father's face softened to a tired smile, "Although, it's likely she already knows."

"I'm sorry," Gellert risked a look at his father.

"No,  you are not, Gellert, you are just sorry you got caught."

"That's not true..."

"This isn't the first time. Your obsession has to stop." He pressed his fingers to his temples and sighed, his headache was building. "I know you want to follow in your grandfather's footsteps. There was a time I shared that ambition too, but it's just a legend, the hallows aren't real."

"How do you know?" Gellert pouted, focusing his anger out of the glass.

"I'm tired of seeing that mark, you've carved it in the walls, it is all over your notebooks too. Your mother and I are worried about you."

Gellert huffed and rolled his eyes.

"Gellert, I've been doing all I can to keep you out of trouble, you've almost lost your opportunity to do your NEWTs."

"What's the point? The way the world is going my exam results will not mean much anyway."

His father shook his head, "Gellert, your nightmares aren't real, all those things are just the product of a great brain being underutilised."

"Is that what you tell mother?"

"You've stopped taking part in Quidditch, you've abandoned your friends..."

"How do you know... have you been spying on me?"

"What choice do I have, you've stopped writing to me."