Chapter 44

Chapter 44- Ella's POV

"Who are you?" Principal Barnes asked me, although I'm sure he knew whom I was. "What's your name?"

"Ella Campbell," I said in a low voice. I knew everything would change from now on, and giving out my name was dangerous.

"Hmm," the principal murmured, narrowing his eyes. His eyes darted to Nathan. "And you? Why are you snooping around? What's your name?"

Nathan's eyes met mine and then John's, and then he looked at the headmaster. "I'm Nathan... Nathan Reed. And I'm not snooping around."

The principal looked at John as if to confirm whether he was the same Nathan, but John's eyes were fixed on mine. I looked away.

Principal Barnes glared at both of them and shook his head. "The things that I've got to deal with are insane. You," he gestured at me, "come into my office. You two, wait outside," he continued, nodding at John and Nathan. "I'll deal with the two of you first."

My eyes met Edward's as I entered the office, my heart beating a hundred times a minute. He was undoubtedly as stressed as I was, but was better at masking it than I was. 

I sat down on the chair which I supposed had been previously occupied by John. This was it. The secret was out. The principal closed the door and shuffled to his seat.

"Miss Campbell, what is your relation to Mr James?" he asked me in a monotone voice.

I blinked. "He's my teacher," I mumbled. Why was he asking me and not him?

"Is that all?" His eyes narrowed.

"I'm friends with her brother," Edward intervened.

"I wasn't asking you," the principal replied, glaring at him. "Anyway I'm sure that's not all. At least, these photos prove otherwise." He turned the computer screen towards us and scrolled. Photos of Edward and I popped up. I gulped.

Edward shuffled on his seat. I looked away. But the headmaster was still waiting for an answer.  "Edward?" he tried.

Edward sighed. "We used to be in a relationship," he said. "But not anymore. We met before school started. And when we realised I would be teaching her, we decided it was better to end it, before something like this happened."

I waited anxiously as Edward fed the principal a bunch of lies, hoping he would believe him. But he just shook his head. I was sure that he was trying hard not to faint when he heard Edward admit to the relationship.

"I would believe you, but this video proves otherwise." He motioned to the video which showed us in the art room the day I had told him that I liked him. It felt like such a long time ago.

The principal's eyes narrowed so much that I could barely see his pupils. "I know you are lying Edward. You should be ashamed of yourself. But then again, I can see that this is not one sided. You two were both into this and it was everything but an assault. But it doesn't make it okay." His tone was vile and he looked at us in disgust. "And we're going to have to see how to deal with it. Unfortunately for you Edward, since your student here was, I suppose, under age when this happened, the blame falls on you. "

I looked at Edward helplessly. I didn't want him to be blamed, he didn't deserve it. But he just nodded at the principal, said that he understood and that it was alright. I felt a shiver run through me.  This was really happening and Edward could end up in jail again because of it.  Because of me.

"I'm going to have to call your parents," Mr Barnes told me. "And then I will decide whether to expel you or not."

The warning bells started ringing in my head when I heard the word expel. Ironically, not when he mentioned the telling-the-parents part. I was now glad that mum knew.