[39]

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

We take Rand’s car, since we left Caden’s black and burning on a road. I wonder what the residents thought when they saw the smouldering remnants of the vehicle, scorch marks etched into the road and pathways as if fireballs had been thrown. I wonder what the lady who actually saw it thought.

“Do you know the address?” Caden asks as he gets behind the wheel.

“It’s–” I begin. But then I realise that I have no idea where Kira lives. “No, I didn’t ask.”

He slumps back in his chair. “Great. How are we meant to get there then?”

“I know where it is,” Sarah says from behind us.

I send her a look which I’m sure reads as, how in the world do you know where Kira lives?

“What? I’m capable of making friends too, you know.” I study her for a moment, then shrug. She has a point.

“Kira invited me. She gave me the address.” She hands a small slip of crinkled paper to Caden.

He skims it quickly, then turns the key in the ignition. As the engine roars to life, I ask, “How far away is it?”

“Not sure. Maybe ten minutes?”

It takes us twenty.

Kira lives in a particularly empty part of town. Her house is wedged between forest parklands on one side and an old, half-demolished petrol shop surrounded by a chain-link fence on the other. The opposite side of the street is more populated, but only by a small amount. There’s a warehouse of some description, a large fancy house surrounded by a tall brick wall, a few vacant blocks of land, and a couple of cottages on the far ends of the street.

It’s the perfect destination for an out-of-control party.

Or a paranormal murder.

Caden parks the car and we hastily hop out. All the lights in the house are turned on and there are people everywhere: on the front lawn, on the sidewalk, crammed inside. Even in the freezing temperatures, the snow melting at their feet, they still seem to be having a good time, chatting and drinking from plastic cups, sporting thick coats to ward against the cold. There’s even people venturing into the forest by the side of the house, leaving a trail of steamy breath in their wake.

The chaotic sight is accompanied by the loud, thumping base of the music, which spills out onto the street, pounding loudly in my ears. I can’t even imagine how loud it must be inside.

I turn to Caden and Sarah. “I’m gonna go in and try to find Lauren. While I’m at it, you guys should probably check the land around the house. It doesn’t look very sus at the moment, but that doesn’t mean there’s now one lurking around.”

They nod.

“You sure you don’t want one of us to come in with you?” Sarah asks.

I shake my head. “I’ll be fine. Besides, if there is someone out here, then it’d be better if one of us didn’t go looking alone in case something happens.”

“What if they’re inside the house?”

“Then they’re inside the house. I’m gonna be surrounded people in there,” I say, gesturing to the raging party. “They’ll barely be able to keep an eye on me, let alone try anything.”

Sarah nods. Caden’s eyes flick to the house and then back to mine, deciding.

 “I’ll meet you back here when I’m done.”