Chapter 3

Ryder's POV

"Ryder! Wake up! We need to talk to you!" I groan when I hear my mother's voice booming on our intercom.

My eyes droop when I look at the time... 10:00! Why did she wake me up so early?! She told me I didn't have to go to school today, two more hours are greatly needed. I stayed up last night till 4:00 playing Destiny.

After rolling out of the bed, I hop in the elevator across the hall. It's a lot quicker getting downstairs, and plus I'm just lazy.

"Mom! Why did you wake me up so early? It's only 10:00!"

"Ryder, you don't need to sleep past 10. It's unhealthy." Mom begins a lecture. I've heard these a thousand times.

"Since when do I care about being healthy?"

She sighed getting frustrated, "Sometimes I like to have a family breakfast. Ok?"

"Whatever."

"Andrew, some backup would be nice!"

"Listen to your mother, Ryder." Dad grumbles without looking up from his IPad 5.

This is how it normally is. Dad "backing up Mom" in fights, and Mom getting frustrated. I always win.

"Fine then. What are we eating?"

"Your favorite. Waffles covered in chocolate chips, whipped cream, and maple syrup. Go out on a shirt."

I look down, remembering I'm not wearing a shirt. That's normal though... "Ok. I'll be right back." I trudge to the elevator.

After throwing on a shirt, I come back downstairs ready for my waffles.

"Ryder, you know the Aultman's, right?" Dad asks.

"Yeah. Robbie and Lindsey."

"They have a daughter, her name is Brynlee. She's fifteen."

"Okayyyy.... why do I need to know this?"

My parents glanced at each other wittingly before Mom gave me the most disturbing news of my life. "Because Ryder, you are going to get married to her in five years. You see meeting her tonight."

Suddenly, my waffles didn't taste so delicious.

"You can't make me. I am never marrying. I am staying single for the rest of my life. You can't expect me to have to start working and paying for a girl I don't even know."

"Yes. You are. You need to man up and take this responsibility Ryder." My father jumps in.

"What do you mean by 'this responsibility'?"

"We expect you to get a job for one thing. Start paying for her clothes, shoes, school, and food."

I have never met this girl... I am sixteen and they are now expecting me to pay for her clothes, shoes, food, and housing. Like, what the heck?!

"I told you before. I'm never marrying." I storm off from the table headed back to to my room.

I'm plop back down on my bed to think.

I am not going to marry someone I've never met. I have never wanted to get married in the first place. Why would I? Other than "family love" romantic love does not exist. All it does is break people's hearts, time and time again.

My parents never knew I have had multiple girlfriends before, but I've been through enough heartbreaks and know that love doesn't exist. If it did exist, then why did every girl I have ever dated break up with me?

Hope you enjoy!!! I was watching Enchanted while writing this! Happy Saturday!

-Kloe