PERCY I

Percy and Annabeth held hands as they made their way to the campfire. Leo and Calypso were chatting about some store they planned on opening in the future while Jason and Piper discussed what things needed to be ordered to redecorate the Hades cabin. Jason had been adamant with Nico about helping his "little brother" redesign the place. Nico only agreed to his help after asking Piper if she would supervise him. Piper was better at interior design than either of them and that way Jason wouldn't do something like order pink curtains. Hades would send him to the Fields of Punishment faster than he could say Cerberus.

When the six of them reached the campfire, they made a bee-line to where Nico and Will were having an avid discussion about creatures of the Underworld.

"Hellhounds are very loyal to those who gain their trust, or train them I suppose. I actually watch over Percy's hellhound. Her name is Mrs. O'Leary. Silly, I know, but she's wonderful. Once I've stabilized I can call her so you can meet her, if you want," Nico was saying.

Will's eyes were filled with excitement. "That'd be so cool!" Then the two demigods noticed their friends, who were listening to the exchange with interest.

"Hey, Nico, Hey, Will." Percy greeted before taking a seat next to the youngest son of the big three. "Did I hear you mention Mrs. O'Leary?"

"Yeah," Leo put in as he and Calypso claimed the bench behind them, Jason and Piper sitting next to them. "Did you say hellhound? Can she do any tricks? I bet her and Festus would get along great! They could have a play date and everything."

Calypso rolled her eyes. "Leo, sometimes you're too much."

"Don't be like that, sunshine! I know I'm too hot to handle, but it'll get easier over time."

"Leo."

"Yes?"

"Be quiet."

"Fine..."

The eight of them chatted for the next several minutes until Will excused himself to sit with his cabin. They had singing duty tonight, and since he was the head counselor he felt it would be rude not to join them.

"Hey, Nico." Percy whispered after Will left and the Apollo cabin prepared to sing.

"Yes, Percy?"

The son of Poseidon's face remained neutral when he spoke, softly so no one would overhear. "Is he your type?"

"Percy Jackson, if you ever bring that up again I'm going to personally escort to the Underworld and watch as you're forced to read math textbooks and eat only orange food for eternity."

"Blue food is superior and I hate math. Too many bad experiences with Miss Dodds, one of the furies actually. But I'm sure Will would appreciate being personally escorted anywhere by you." He couldn't resist.

Just as he opened his mouth to retort, most likely about to threaten Percy's life again, the Apollo cabin began singing. Instead the moody teenager simply glowered at him, warning him to keep his mouth shut for the rest of the night.

For the next twenty minutes things were great. The flames grew higher and hotter as campers' spirits rose. Bags of marshmallows were being passed around as well as a dozen pokers from the forges. The ends were covered in melted marshmallow, but the Hephaestus kids would deal with that later. Right now everyone was satisfied listening to the children of Apollo sing, singing along with them, or eating delicious roasted marshmallows.

"Hey," Leo reached over and held a marshmallow out to Nico. Nico raised an eyebrow when Leo set the treat on fire, burning it just enough so it was perfect.

Nico downed the treat in one bite. "Thanks, fireball."

"That's Leo McShizzle to you, Death Breath."

That was when the singing stopped.

Percy gasped as a familiar figure appeared in the flames of the fire, which had lowered quite a bit from the shock of the god's appearance.

"Lord Apollo," Chiron addressed with a formal bow. "What brings you to Camp Half-blood?"

The sun god turned to the area in the amphitheater where his children sat, urgency in his voice. "I do not have much time. Will Solace, my son, I give you your quest." With that his eyes glowed bright and his voice took on a booming quality.

"The healer, trickster, and magician must stand,

Tartarus' first survivor must also lend a hand.

The maze of shadows will reveal the light,

Anger of a friend, an enemy, and Sun's kin shall burn bright.

Beware the Oath's blinding curse,

The fall of the sun, the final verse."

No one spoke as Apollo simply vanished, his melodic voice hanging in the air as Will waited for Chiron to address him.

"It seems you have an urgent quest given to you by your father, Will." Chiron said as he walked over where the healer stood at a loss for words. "It seems pretty straightforward who you must bring with you though. This is both a blessing and a curse."

"Yeah," Will said while the rest of the camp waited to hear who would be going on the quest. "I'm the healer, Cecil is the trickster, Lou Ellen is the magician, but what about the second line? 'Tartarus' first survivor' could be Percy or Annabeth, right?"

Percy cleared his throat, and the heads of over a hundred demigods turned towards the hero.

"Actually," he began awkwardly while he gripped Annabeth's hand in his own, "neither of us were the first demigod to go into Tartarus and survive."

Chatter broke out among the campers, obviously very confused.

Connor Stoll opened his mouth. "Who was—"

"—the first survivor?" Travis Stoll finished.

"Um..." Percy glanced at Nico, not really wanting to say it if he wasn't comfortable. In truth he guessed Nico wanted forget about his time in Tartarus, so he'd never be comfortable bringing it up, but the camp was waiting.

Beside him, Nico let his head and shoulders droop. He looked positively haunted all of a sudden.

"Just tell them," the son of Hades muttered.

Percy complied.

"Neither Annabeth nor I were the first demigods to survive Tartarus, because before us someone entered willingly. He went in to locate the Doors of Death so we could defeat Gaea. That demigod is Nico di Angelo."

While excited murmurs rose from the campers, Percy watched as Will made his way around the fire to stand in front of Nico. He held his hand out, a smile (although it seemed a bit forced) plain on his face.

"Would you come on the quest to rescue Apollo with me, di Angelo?"

Nico rolled his eyes at the healer. "He gave me a lift on his magical school bus of fire once, you know. It would be impolite not to return the favor. Besides," his dark eyes glittered with humor, "what are friends for?"