Chapter 7.7 - The Silver Box

The tension between the two Demish princes had a deep, heavy quality, very different from the hot, quick nature of a Vrellish quarrel. It put Di Mon in mind of the contrast between dodging lightening bolts and living on a geological fault. On the whole, he was more comfortable with sudden storms.

"What if we start over?" H'Us wheedled. "Together we could accomplish much — even usher in a new Golden Age at court."

D'Ander was completely still for a moment, then he asked, hoarsely, "What?"

H'Us rose, grating the feet of his chair on the floor. Di Mon got up, too, succumbing to the sheer impossibility of keeping still in the face of so much stirred emotion. If the Demish princes had been Vrellish, there would already be blood on the floor.

D'Ander's face had drained white and he trembled with anger. "You want the Golden Emperor," he said in a hushed tone. "You want to bring Him here, to Gelion."

"D'Ander — " H'Us tried to sound reasonable.

"No!" The younger prince retreated, still aghast. "I thought there was still something decent in you, despite it all! I thought you were only blind or stupid!"

"Be careful, boy!" H'Us threatened.

D'Ander shook his golden mane, his face flushing hot. "If you want anything more from Demora — anything — you understand? You will have to take it from me, by the sword, on the challenge floor."

"Wait!" H'Us took a step forward, but D'Ander was already halfway to the entrance hall where servants sprang to meet him bearing his heavy, ornate cloak. Prince H'Us' attendant princes made to follow, but H'Us called them back.

"Let him go," he told them, with mixed emotions of resentment and pride. "D'Ander could kill either one of you and possibly both at once."

On the dance floor, Eva had called a halt and stood beside Von's understudy, looking as brave as she could. Di Mon met her stare, briefly. Her eyes dropped.

"Go and entertain yourselves," H'Us dismissed his kinsmen. "But keep it light. I won't be long."

"Eva!" Di Mon had to call to her to make her look up. Once their eyes met she grasped quickly that the H'Usians must be steered away from the first pair of guests she had hidden. "Will you see the H'Usians are made comfortable?" Di Mon asked.

She did, with every symptom of her usual aplomb.

H'Us settled back into his seat. "D'Ander was such a promising boy," he lamented.

"He is an honorable man," said Di Mon. "And a fine sword." Those were the only good things he could find to say about D'Ander right now.

"He's too good a sword!" H'Us gave a discontented grunt. "It will be the death of him, one day, you know." He stopped, and fixed a stern look on Di Mon. "Your message said he asked you about Reetions."

Di Mon nodded.

"You know what he wants?" H'Us asked rhetorically. "He wants to trade with them! Trade!" H'Us sighed. "I do not know where I went wrong, bringing him up."

"Don't you consider trade honorable?"

"Not with Reetions!" H'Us snapped.

"Perhaps they've changed," said Di Mon.

"Huh!" H'Us grunted and emptied his wine horn. A novice filled it up immediately, but H'Us set it down in its stand and left the refill untouched. "I suppose he asked you to help him cultivate them," said H'Us. "Speak English to them." He paused. "How did you let him down?"

"I have not, yet," said Di Mon. "Not entirely."

H'Us went very still, then said, slowly, "I know that look — you're curious. It's the curse of your Lorel blood."