Part 7

"My dearest Love, I know they told you I was dead. I'm sorry for that. There's so much to explain and so damn little time. Your technology works, my Love. Be proud of that.

"You remember how the colony in Kuiper belt stopped communication after they declared their independence?"

Rachael remembers, it was the reason for his leaving.

"Well, the reason was that Earth couldn't stand the idea of a colony beyond their control. 'Security Risk' they told me, the antimatter technology too important for Earth's needs. So they acted first. The colony was too spread out for military strikes, so they struck with a virus instead. It had a slow incubation period, giving it time to spread.

"But they screwed up. They didn't take into account that some pockets of habitats went years without contact with other humans, so once people started dying, others had a lot of time to do something about it before they died. I was sent out to confirm the colony was lost, even I was kept in the dark, and learn all I could about the antimatter harvesting. They armed me as a military vessel, but they never expected me to use the nanobots you designed for them in the manner that I did. They also never told me the consequences of being incompatible, the bastards. But your nanobots, my Love, the ones you gave me before I left, allowed me to last longer and do things they never thought possible."

The face on the screen pauses for a moment, lips clenching in the fight to get his emotions under control. "And they had programmed them to launch the antimatter at Earth. It's been coming for years. Millions of micrometeorites of antimatter is going to rain down on Earth in a few days, and will rain for years. This planet will be bathed in radioactive fire, the atmosphere itself and a good portion of the planet, if not all of it, will be annihilated into energy." Pain and anguish overcome his eyes as he looks out from the monitor. "There's nothing I could do to stop it."

His eyes lowers, taking a deep breath he then looks back up and continues, "So I spent years setting up the central colony to be automated. I modified a ship to be a carrier. Your nanobots allowed me to set everything up. They allowed me to split myself into multiples and function as a hive mind, then integrate myself again. I worked all this time with one purpose: gather humans and bring them to the colony to begin again. I started with contacting former colonists that had been trapped in system before the virus had been unleashed. You remember the so-called embargo Earth imposed? Now you know the real reason. Many were trapped on the inner system outposts, waiting to return to their loved ones. From contacting these people, an underground movement grew. Those who were willing to live out on the edge of the solar system in order to be free of the government's control. They do not know the whole truth of what lies ahead at the colonies... nor do they know that this world, this Earth, will die in a few days' time.

"They will need you as a leader and a researcher, Rachael."

He pauses, looks around while gathering his thoughts, then gives a short bitter laugh before focusing forward again.

"I've had a long time to think about this, Rachael. Earth was so insecure about its security, the military decided to sacrifice the colonies for the crime of being too independent. But the colonies were an independent and proud people, and when they watched their children die, they decided to sacrifice their home world. There was only one thing I could do, Rachael. I had to save you and some small part of humanity.

"I wish I could be by your side right now, my Love, but I know this is a one-way trip for me. You will need me to be the colony A.I. if humanity is going to survive. I've programmed several mission parameters, like surveying for new planets, building habitats, perhaps even terraforming Mars once the solar system settles down and adjusts for no more Earth." He sighs.

"I want you to know I love you. They told you I was dead, it's best you leave me that way. The military nanos are quite destructive to the host once full combat mode is engaged in an incompatible such as me. There's a war going on between your nanos and theirs, and I won't survive, but I needed the combat integration of my mind, combined with your nanos' abilities to fracture, to effectively pilot seven ships. This sacrifice was my choice, to save you. My hope is that by coming personally down, I will be able to see you with my own eyes... one last time.

"If it turns out otherwise, know that I love you, and promise me this: Move on, my Love. Find another to love, I will always be around.

"This ship should be arriving at the carrier now. I didn't want you to be more alarmed than you already are. Look out at the view... My Others are arriving.

"Have hope. I will always love you."

The screen went dark and a larger screen on the wall stopped showing sky and clouds. Slowly an actual ship view takes its place. Rachael face shows shock as she realizes this is a true image. Now it shows from Earth orbit, five ships rising from Earth's atmosphere like white flaming arrows. A larger ship in orbit moves closer, clearly designed to dock six ships.

No sound can be heard, but the word "No" forms on Rachael's lips as she turns back to his body, tears running down her face. Her fingertips brushes gently down his cheek.

He observes from without, but feels nothing. She will survive.

Mission complete.

He triggers protocols for his upload to the carrier and his consciousness starts to fade from the fighter. He sees his Rachael suddenly get a determined look on her face as she reaches into her pocket and pulls out several microchips. Selecting one, she launches herself into the second chair behind the pilot's and slams the chip into the console. She starts pulling up data and subroutines to the fighter's computer.

The last thing he sees is the medical display of his former body as she triggers a program from her data systems. He grants her permission for full access just before he is gone.