Prologue

WARNING AT THE END OF THIS CHAPTER.

I don't own anyone but my OCs and Gin's backstory.

------------------

Gin was cold.

Not the I'm-freezing-my-ass-off cold, though winter in Japan was a pain in the ass to deal with, he agreed. He hated the blinding whiteness of the accumulating snow— he had always preferred the darkness. He hated that he had to put on layers and layers of winter wear to keep his stupidly human body warm. He hated that his movements were slowed by the heavy coats he had to put on.

He needed to be fast. Nimble.

But for now, Gin was cold.

Gin had no family. Gin instead had a permanent frown marring his sharp and defined cheekbones, his posture forever straight and tense. Gin knew no positive emotion.

Gin was cold, but Günter Schmidt was warm.

Günter was a great man who loved his sister. Günter always had a grin on his face. Günter was relaxed and outgoing. Günter loved winter hoodies and wool sweaters.

Günter was warm.

But Günter's life went downhill when his sister was taken away by some cult who called themselves the Black Organisation— she was snatched from right under his nose, then she was no longer Akako Schmidt but Alize, some type of cognac-vodka mix. Alize was her code name, but she wasn't even old enough to drink. 

Günter hated the Black Organisation for taking his sister away from her, and he would do anything to get her back, even joining the stupid organisation's ranks and becoming the infamous Gin he was known for today. 

He would fight. He would lie. He would kill.

And he did, but with a price he forever regretted paying because he could never, ever  forgive himself for the look of betrayal on Akako's face—almost breaking the bottle crudely labelled APTX4869 on a piece of cellophane tape. He could almost feel the outline of each and every pill against his fingers.

 A single pill could kill a grown man.

 For a moment, Günter hesitated. For a moment, he saw Akako smiling, and she had the widest, happiest grin in the world on her face. Günter could hardly fathom how so much pure, sheer, complete happiness can fit into such a small, small being. But it did. 

He recalled. He recalled that he was fifteen, that it was Akako's tenth birthday. He had bought Akako her favourite strawberry cream cake and the little white dress she had always wanted. Father and Mother were still alive and happy— They got her a pretty card and the toys she eyed since months ago.

Akako was so happy that she cried. She wept while smiling. And her smile was brilliantly bright, it reminded Günter of the sun. Oh, but the sun could never dare to compare to his sister.

A minuscule smile made its way onto his face.

Günter really, really loved Akako more than anything in his life.

But he dropped the smile when the scent of perfume, her perfume, infiltrated his nostrils.

That witch, that bitch, that fucking—

He snapped back into reality and his gaze flickered to Akako, then to the bottle. Akako, then to the bottle.

It was either her death by his hands, or theirs. 

Günter would rather die than let the twisted organisation touch a single strand of hair on his precious little sister. Günter would rather die than to let them ruin her more than they already did. He would rather die.

They had done enough. Enough to brainwash his Akako. Enough to turn her from his sweet, innocent little girl to Alize, that- that monster. Enough to turn him into the man he was about to become.

So Günter made a choice.

"I'm sorry." He did not dare look at his sister in the eye. He could not. "I really am."

Akako drew in a sharp breath, her calculating gaze never leaving his face. He wished she understood. He wished she realised that everything he did was for her sake. 

"Shut up," she snarled, lightning cackling at her fingertips. "You heartless bastard."

Her eyes held no love and no happiness. Günter guiltily found comfort in that because they weren't Akako's eyes. Well, they technically were, but her eyes were so void of love, so void of any emotion except for cold, cold fury that it might as well not be hers.

 So he took advantage of that very, very tiny moment of apathy and before she—  Alize could even blink, Günter had already made his move. 

Grab. 

Punch.

Knock out.

Alize— Akako slumped into his arms and he held his breath as he dumped a pill into her mouth. Her lips were warm. He smelled blood.

Günter wanted nothing more but to break down but cry. To mourn his sister. To mourn himself. But he couldn't. 

She was watching, they were watching.

And in their eyes, he wasn't Günter Schmidt and his sister wasn't Akako Schmidt, but he was Gin and she was Alize.

So Günter— Gin willed his eyes shut—and he released a breath he didn't realise he had been holding. Then he turned around.

As his sister fell onto the ground,Gin never looked back. His winter boots crushed the grey, ashen snow. 

As Akako— Alize's pulse slowed to a stop, Gin's eyes steeled and he clenched his fist--

Then he was cold.

"Good job, Gin." Blonde curls made their way into Gin's line of vision. "Ano Kata will be very, very pleased."

The witch shot Gin a satisfactory smirk, and he returned with a cold, cold glare.

She reeked of perfume.

"Piss off, Vermouth."

--------------------------------

WARNING:

First of all, Lightning was a fic I wrote when I was like, 10. So no matter how much I dislike this plot or its characters, I figured that I would like to fulfill my childhood wishes. So yeah. Lightning is kinda? back, and it will be better than ever.

Secondly, this fic WILL include dark elements like violence, a little gore, manipulation, rape, suicide etc. Come on. This is the Detective Conan Universe. What do you expect? But I believe that a warning is still necessary, so.

Lastly, Günter Schmidt is Gin's Real name in this fanfiction. So this is slightly AU in a sense that I made up his back story... I guess? Yeah. He's German. Deal with it.

Don't forget to leave a like and a comment!