VIII : Arden

Vulgar yells. Angry neighs. Multiple sounds should have filled Arden's ears, yet the only thing he could hear was a persistent ringing, invading all of his senses.

His case clinked and tinkered, making him once again grateful he had the premonition to pack a bottle of tranquilizer with him. It contained no identification or passport, though, and he wasn't sure that whichever member of the Council was in the carriage would appreciate his wide collection of knives or the hundreds of fake gold coins packed in brown pouches.

"So this one night--" Salo continued with his trivial blabbering nonchalantly, completely ignorant to the fact that his enemy was right behind him, speeding towards him in a huge, fancy carriage.

"Shut your mouth or I'll stuff it with cotton, I swear!" Arden exclaimed and, without waiting to hear Salo's objections, he shoved him and the weirdly silent spy out of the way, into some soft grass on the side of the road. He hoped Ailyn had the sense to step away as well, and luckily enough he spotted her rushing behind some bushes.

The problem was, the dual bender was nowhere to be seen. Arden cursed, running a hand through his already wet hair.

Some light crackling was audible, followed by a sudden yelp and the sharp yank of leather reins. The boy dared to peek over the edge of the road, evaluating the situation. Elara had slipped. She was pushing herself off the mud, rubbing the soil off her face and dusting her black uniform. The carriage's driver shook his head, sputtering various Gweini insults Arden did not recognize. The door of the coach sprang open, almost being thrown off its hinges.

The Price of Shadows, he will hang us all. Upside down. With his people having been provided with spears to poke our limb bodies. Arden had no doubt that had Ela had the chance to run back to the safety of her home, she would take it any day.

A tall figure dressed in black silk exited the carriage. Arden let out a confused sigh, his eyebrows coming so close together one could assume they were connected.

A prince, he thought. But not the one I was expecting.

Edel Kainet, the Seyali Prince of Nature, grabbed Ela's narrow shoulders, pulling her up from her fallen state and examining her body for any injuries. When he spotted none, he removed his hands and stepped back, making a short bow. His dark auburn hair fell in front of his wide eyes, shock and distress obvious in his round features. "I deeply apologize you were almost hurt! You must excuse us, we are in a hurry." He stood straight, his pearl-like teeth glowing as he smiled at the confounded Ela. "I suppose you were leaving the academy after the explosion. I heard it was something with the stoves. Do you want us to return you to your dormitories? That is the least we can do."

Ela stood baffled for a second. Arden could almost see her thoughts above her head as she struggled to find her words. Will she sell us out? He couldn't help but wonder. She swiped a temporarily blonde lock away from her cheek, clearing her throat. Finally, she spoke with a quivering voice. "All is fine. I am heading home for the weekend."

Edel cocked his head to the side, his soft brown eyes glittering. "But it was all an accident. You do not have to go since there is no real danger. Besides, it is improper for a young lady to wander alone this late at night."

"Um..." Arden didn't think he would ever see someone like Ela search for her words, or not resort to blowing the man's brains out. I don't even know who I am, he realized as he examined the rare sight. "After this shock, I wish to see my family. Does the Ascended Council have any business infringing my right to communication?"

Nora broke her long silence with a muffled snort.

Edel's fair eyebrows shot up in sudden amusement. After studying Ela's features exhaustively, the prince sighed and smiled a gentle grin. "I suppose not. Excuse my indiscretion." He turned around, pacing towards the coach in a contemplative manner. He paused at the steps.