The War - part 3

“Will you still be here tomorrow?”

“Yes”

“Do you promise?”

“I promise”

“Good, I’ll see you tomorrow then”

Emily ran back to the village as night-time descended. She and Lee dad spent the whole day playing games until Lee pointed out that it was getting dark. Once inside the village, Emily followed the winding streets until she got to the faded sky blue two-story house she was born in.

Although the outside of the house was falling apart the inside was in fairly good condition. The living room was small with a heavy wooden table for four, a two-seater couch in front of the fireplace and a rocking chair in the corner. The rocking chair was Emily’s favourite; it was comfortably worn from several lifetimes of use; first Emily’s grandmother, then Emily’s mother and now Emily herself. The kitchen was behind a door to the left of the living room and the hall were the staircase was, was through the door to the back of the living room, this is where Emily went, she walked up the stairs looking at the photos of her family as she passed them by. On the second floor of her home there were four doors, the first door to the left was her parents bedroom followed by the bathroom, on the right was first Emily’s bedroom and after that was the other bedroom.

Once in her own bedroom, Emily changed into nightgown before crawling into bed, it wasn’t long before she fell asleep, a smile on her face.

A few hours after sunrise Emily woke up, she went through her morning routine just as her mother had taught her to, brushing her long red hair and twisting it into a messy bun, brushing her perfect little white teeth, washing her face with icy water and grabbing some bread to eat later when she got hungry. This, Emily put into her beaded satchel along with a picture of her parents and her collection of pretty rocks, both of which she wanted to show to Lee.

As the cottage came into view Emily began to run even faster, eager to see Lee again. Just as she put her hand on the door handle Lee’s voice came from behind.

“Didn’t anyone ever tell you its rude to barge into other peoples homes?”

“Lee!” Emily spun around “you’re here!”

“I said I would be didn’t I?”

“Well yeah” Emily looked down at her toes “But I still thought you might disappear.”

“Why would I do that?”

“I don’t know, but sometimes the people in town say that they’ll play with me but then the disappear.”

Lee looked at Emily’s downcast expression with pity. “I promise that if I ever say that I’ll play with you I wont disappear, okay?”

“Thankyou” Emily grinned at him and was rewarded with a crooked half smile in return.